OEM radiator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Willard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2008
Bates City, MO 64011
I own an 84' Hurst Olds and I have a question about the stock radiator, not knowing if the one I have in my car is the original or not. On the radiator I presently have in the car, the drain petcock is on the bottom of the radiator, passenger side. I am wanting to replace my radiator with a new, direct fit, all aluminum version, but when I do the part searches on various radiator sites, all of the options given only show radiators with the petcock on the drivers side, back of the radiator (not bottom). However, if I do a search for an 84-87 Buick Regal, I find the exact radiator that is in my car.
Can anybody on this forum tell me what their original, OEM Hurst Olds radiator has for a petcock location?
Thanks in advance!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Surprised, with the bottom hose on that side. Every GM replacement rad I have seen is on the driver's side. Is it a Copper/Brass radiator?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I own an 84' Hurst Olds and I have a question about the stock radiator, not knowing if the one I have in my car is the original or not. On the radiator I presently have in the car, the drain petcock is on the bottom of the radiator, passenger side. I am wanting to replace my radiator with a new, direct fit, all aluminum version, but when I do the part searches on various radiator sites, all of the options given only show radiators with the petcock on the drivers side, back of the radiator (not bottom). However, if I do a search for an 84-87 Buick Regal, I find the exact radiator that is in my car.
Can anybody on this forum tell me what their original, OEM Hurst Olds radiator has for a petcock location?
Thanks in advance!
What brand aluminum radiator is a direct fit ? I havent found one yet. Most of them dont fit well under the rubber saddles. I bought a Griffin direct fit for my 81 Malibu and it fit like crap. Because of that and other issues with it I sold it and bought a 4 row copper/brass replacement From US Radiator. It wasnt cheap but its a perfect fit.
My wagon came with a typical aluminum replacement from a chain auto parts that had plastic tanks. Got rid of that one too and bought a 3 row copper/brass replacement from Summit. Again, a perfect fit. You might want to check with US Radiator. I think they might be selling aluminum radiators now.

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
US Radiator. Never had to use em, but heard great things from people who have...

-Gonz

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
Original radiator does have a petcock drain at the passenger side bottom. I had mine recored, so I can not offer you an exact fit replacement. If you want to hold your car's value, I would suggest rebuilding the original.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
ChongLiNOS.gif

307 V8 with Heavy Duty Cooling V08. LV2 or LG8 for 83/84 H/O or 85-87 442 is radiator GM p/n 3043077. ACDelco #20065. In some cases, they use the same radiator with A/C but without HD cooling in other G-body applications. I lucked up and got a GM one right before they deep sixed them from GM. This radiator also fits 305 LG4 Monte Carlos with Heavy Duty Cooling and several others with 307 or 305 I'm sure.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
if you live somewhere near a truck stop theres usually a shop nearby that recores radiators for the big rigs. they can fix yours as easily as they do theirs, and it usually carries a fair price as long as youre a good guy with a respectful personality...

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Copper is the way to go. It's pricey but it seems like you care about originality. As pointed out the aluminum ones fit like crap. They look like crap too. I have seen petcocks on either side of the radiator on original cars.

Gary Willard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2008
Bates City, MO 64011
Surprised, with the bottom hose on that side. Every GM replacement rad I have seen is on the driver's side. Is it a Copper/Bra
if you live somewhere near a truck stop theres usually a shop nearby that recores radiators for the big rigs. they can fix yours as easily as they do theirs, and it usually carries a fair price as long as youre a good guy with a respectful personality...
it used to be you could find a radiator repair shop about every five miles or so. I live in the Kansas City area and there's only a few that I have heard about now. Good suggestion on checking near the truck stops. I live near two rather large ones!

Gary Willard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2008
Bates City, MO 64011
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check out my local truck stops for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor