Oil pan hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Even if it doesn't leak, plug it. Heck, being a 80, should be a 14 bolt oil pan. Spend the $20 to replace it, they're neither rare nor valuable.

You shouldn't have ANY open holes into the oil pan anywhere to let moisture or debris in.

Reactions: 1 user

I-AM-JD

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2020
Sacramento CA
Do transmission fluid pans have over fill holes? And could this be one of those? Or maybe differential fluid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200712-164704.png
    Screenshot_20200712-164704.png
    704.5 KB · Views: 176

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
That's a weep hole in the dust shield of the trans. There to let you know if the front seal is leaking, and to prevent engine rear main seal leaks from filling up the shield/bellhousing...and it's supposed to be there.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

I-AM-JD

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2020
Sacramento CA
That's a weep hole in the dust shield of the trans. There to let you know if the front seal is leaking, and to prevent engine rear main seal leaks from filling up the shield/bellhousing...and it's supposed to be there.
So did the 80 Regal not come with the transmission drain plug? Because mine does not have one I have to remove the whole pan to drain the fluid and replace the filter and gasket. I was also thinking that it may be that somebody install a drain plug to make it easier is that a possibility?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
No, they did not. Yes, one can be installed.

GM's reasoning, according to the old timers, was that they did not want people just draining the trans and refilling without changing the filter, so no drain plug. Along the same lines as current production, where they don't have trans dipsticks...reasoning was too many people were putting the wrong fluid in them.

Real reason probably has more to do with wanting owners to return for service, and production cost savings over several million units a year. A nickel per unit is a big deal to automakers, given the number of vehicles assembled.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

I-AM-JD

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2020
Sacramento CA

GM's reasoning, according to the old timers, was that they did not want people just draining the trans and refilling without changing the filter, so no drain plug. Along the same lines as current production, where they don't have trans dipsticks...reasoning was too many people were putting the wrong fluid in them.

Real reason probably has more to do with wanting owners to return for service, and production cost savings over several million units a year. A nickel per unit is a big deal to automakers, given the number of vehicles assembled.
Got it! thanks for all your info that was really helpful cuz it was driving me nuts just bought the car about 6 months ago finally getting around to doing the engine components I noticed it. Thank you

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

the other side of the coin is tramsmission fluid does not get contaminated so there is no reason to change the oil

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Glad it was helpful! (y)

I-AM-JD

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2020
Sacramento CA
Even if it doesn't leak, plug it. Heck, being a 80, should be a 14 bolt oil pan. Spend the $20 to replace it, they're neither rare nor valuable.

You shouldn't have ANY open holes into the oil pan anywhere to let moisture or debris in.
Rare enough when looking for parts, sheeeit!

I-AM-JD

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2020
Sacramento CA

Not valuable? Says who? And being a one year specific vehicle I'd say that's pretty rare unlike 81-87. Except for the engine everything else is exactly the same LOL how many 80s are you going to find out there??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor