OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
this is a good thread.i ran the Valvoline VR1 because it was high in zinc & locally available.also i was running 20/50 (under protest of coarse)because i had pressure problems when hot.i freshen up the motor this winter, I'm gonna ask the fella @ the machine shop what weight he can suggest to complement his handy work..i saw Joe Gibbs oil on the shelves over there but i'm sure there's a bunch of good ones out there too.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I like synthetic oil. Do I run it in my ElC, no. It is high mileage and I use a non -descript 20w-50
I use synthetic in all my air cooled stuff, Tacoma, Camaro and outboard. It really depends on driving habits. The oil does not wear out, but it does get contaminated with fuel, moisture, blow by on the power stroke and small amounts of coolant. That is why it is so important to have the right thermostat so the engine reaches a temp that will boil off a lot of that junk off and have a good breathing system. I change the oil in my Tacoma 8-10k miles, twice a year, but I drive mostly highway 50 miles a day. El C I change every couple years. So to answer your question there are not many refineries, they bottle to whatever specs the buyer wants but still may have to be API rated. I do not like bulk and I usually pick a name brand oil when I buy it.

Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Last oil change, I did 10W-30 "high mileage" conventional. I think it was Valvoline or Mobil. Since the car (now) only gets driven about once a week, I think it'll be fine.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
The Cummins pickup runs 5-40 synthetic Valvoline. The Grand Cherokee and Challenger run 5-20 Mobil 1, The 80 Chevy pickup and the Monte (used to when it was on the road) run whatever 15-40 diesel spec oil that happened to be in a 5 gallon bucket in the back of the service truck. That will change on the Monte because the LT1 has a roller cam.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
pennzoil 10w30 with oil extreme additive. change it every couple seasons

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Full synthetic Amsoil in everything except my truck and it gets regular 10w30.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Rotella 15/40.
Works in wet clutch application (dirt bike), tractor, Powerstroke, 5.3 turbo Malibu, lawn mower, etc. I use Valvoline synthetic in my commuter Hondork because it gets better mileage, not because I think it's a better oil.

Reactions: 1 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I run Napa Synthetic in my Mazda 5, 04 Colorado and 87 Monte Carlo. In my 41 Chevy with the original motor I use the Napa non-detergent no additive oil. Rather than brand I look at the SAE rating for the oils. If that exceeds the requirements for the engine then I am OK with it. I buy the Napa brand since the stor is a local franchise and has been good to us for a long time. The store brand is on sale by the case every so often and I stock up at that time. Last time it was ~$2.50 a quart if bought by the case.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Vr1 10w30. Thats all my current engine has ever had, save for the break in oil.
And clearly the W stands for Wahoo.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor