Des Moines, Iowa
Reactions: 1 user

icr242005

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2018
Here's something that always starts an argument;
The W stands for winter, not weight.[/QUOTE]

You are right. W stands for weather
When it comes to oil, use a branded product, change it regularly with a good good oil filter. A lot of ppl miss that part.
High mileage oils typically do have a better add pack, Diesel engine oil even better. ( typically CJ4 has better zinc
2018 fusion- MOBIL 1 6-7k oil drains
2017 Subaru OEM oil, warranty purposes 6K oil drains
2001 Chevy 1500 with 297K miles 10w30 summer, 5w30 winter.
80 Malibu with 383 stoker all roller, Delvac 1300 15w40. If you have had machining work done to ur motor always ask machinist what viscosity he set the clearances at.
Oil is CHEAP insurance.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
W stands for WTF.

Lots of hype and confusion around oil.

Synthetic comes from the same crude oil as conventional. Conventional has a naturally chaotic mix of hydrocarbon chain lengths. Synthetic has been processed to get a more uniform chain length. This makes synthetic less chaotic, hence slicker, with less internal heat so it absorbs more from the motor. It also drains out of the valve train faster, especially in hot weather. It also rots just sitting in your crankcase, just as fast as conventional. Any "long life" claim is based on additives to retard spoilage, not the fact that it's "synthetic."

While ZDDP (zinc duh-duh phosphorus) has been reduced, Mobil in particular has added molybdenum. Moly, as found in assembly lube. So the paranoia about wiping your flat tappet cam is just that. Then again, that doesn't mean somebody isn't following you.

There are two varieties of moly, the original requiring a larger amount, and an improved type developed by some outfit in Japan that requires something like half as much. I think Mobil controls the supply of the improved type, just like they control the supply of processed synthetic base stock. Or did when last I heard.

I've been using plain Mobil 1 (not high mileage, not long life). I like it, and it hasn't wiped my cam yet. But then I haven't been running it for a ton of miles, and I don't have a badass cam and don't flog the car anyway.

Last edited:

icr242005

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2018
I normally don’t get into these conversations but.....
Not all Syn oil or 100 percent crude based.
Hydrocarbon is a compound, Syn oil‘s have a more uniform molecule size. Full PAO Syn oil have 100 percent molecule uniformity
Syn oil are not “more slick” they flow better because of the uniform molecules. Friction modifier’s is what makes oil improve the lubricity (more slick)
And I would really like to know how Jiho got the proprietary information of Exxon Mobil’s formulation and add pack chemistry to say what they have or have not changed or what chemistry they have in their oils. Not trying to stir the pot, but...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor