Olds-307 (Y) Valve cover Gaskets Assistance Needed

Cork or Rubber Gasket for 1986 Oldsmobile 307 (5.0 liter) ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
You can use rubber gasket its more available than the cork. The person replacing the gaskets should know how to tighten the bolts if he or she does this for a living.
Never heard of valve covers warping on there own, have been building engines and auto mechanic for almost 40 years.
Know what causes a warped or damaged valve cover when the person before you had put a tube of sealent on each gasket and you need the strength of Lou Ferrigno the Hulk to take them off.
That is my Hurst

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The metal around the bolts can deform from over-tightening, but I wouldn't call it warpage. It's easy enough to straighten out with a hammer and dolly or similar implement(s).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
You can use rubber gasket its more available than the cork. The person replacing the gaskets should know how to tighten the bolts if he or she does this for a living.
Never heard of valve covers warping on there own, have been building engines and auto mechanic for almost 40 years.
Know what causes a warped or damaged valve cover when the person before you had put a tube of sealent on each gasket and you need the strength of Lou Ferrigno the Hulk to take them off.
That is my Hurst

Thanks very much. The motor has never been touched. I'm the original owner. The shop foreman suggested rubber over cork, and did not elaborate on the steel rubber. Most likely, I'll go with the rubber. As far as the valve covers warping, that seemed a little mystifying to me. Even a mechanic made mention of that (valve covers warp over a period of time). I would certainly agree with your synopsis regarding the valve covers. One last thing, should sealant be applied with the rubber or just stand alone, like the cork?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You can use high temp glue on the rubber to hold them in place. I did that with the plain rubber on my 307. Or even a small amount of RTV let set up. The point of the rubber core steel valve cover gaskets is if someone overtightened the covers they can only go so much, the core limits them. They won't be able to over tighten them to the point where the gasket split or compress too much and leak. Since Felpro discontinued the Permadry valve covers for Olds, rigid plastic core and printo seal rubber all around, new bolts and load spreaders were included with them. These take up the slack as a superior gasket.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
You can use high temp glue on the rubber to hold them in place. I did that with the plain rubber on my 307. Or even a small amount of RTV let set up. The point of the rubber core steel valve cover gaskets is if someone overtightened the covers they can only go so much, the core limits them. They won't be able to over tighten them to the point where the gasket split or compress too much and leak. Since Felpro discontinued the Permadry valve covers for Olds, rigid plastic core and printo seal rubber all around, new bolts and load spreaders were included with them. These take up the slack as a superior gasket.
*Thanks very much. Would you go with cork or rubber, not keen on the steel rubber? I was looking for FelPro but as you said, "discontinued".
* The consensus seems to be rubber at this point 3-1.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I believe the Mr Gasket Ultra seal are rubber coated cork with a rigid core, another option.

Reactions: 1 user

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
* Cancelled order due to not being able to speak with FelPro which is amassed into a conglomerate of stores under Federal Mogul. Do not care for all the trickery in this generation. Furthermore, Tasca will not guarantee the work in using a gasket I bring in. So much for research.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Then on the right side of the page are these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7598?rrec=true
Brand:Edelbrock
Manufacturer's Part Number:7598
Part Type:Valve Cover Gaskets
Product Line:Edelbrock Valve Cover Gaskets
Summit Racing Part Number:EDL-7598

UPC:085347075980
Gasket Material:Composite with steel core
Thickness (in):0.250 in.
Quantity:Sold as a pair.
1556808261596.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor