Olds Lives Matter! Fun starts on page 13 (was: Am I Selling Out… or Buying In?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I knew there were Chrysler's, glad the new Challenger was done. I also knew there was a couple of Pontiac's back in the day. Correct me if I am wrong, there were NO chevies!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
No Chevys, Just Olds, Pontiac, Chrysler, & AMC back in the day. Now with the modern day "muscle" car trio it looks to be a Hurst version of each but not the same.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I knew there were Chrysler's, glad the new Challenger was done. I also knew there was a couple of Pontiac's back in the day. Correct me if I am wrong, there were NO chevies!

That's because the Chevys didn't need the help.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That's because the Chevys didn't need the help.

giphy.gif
Agreed, they got enough favoritism from GM. Look at the F88, the Corvette was a flop. GM had the F88 with 120 more hp with better braking and handling than the Thunderbird and especially the Corvette. Never saw the light of day, Harley Earl made 3 different versions of them. People would have been what is a Corvette, it may not have survived. Notice how the 550 hp Olds W43 option never saw the light of day in 71? The rumor from a good source was chebby threw a fit, like child holding their breath and flailing around on the floor and till they turned blue. The golden child always gets their way in GM.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Agreed, they got enough favoritism from GM. Look at the F88, the Corvette was a flop. GM had the F88 with 120 more hp with better braking and handling than the Thunderbird and especially the Corvette. Never saw the light of day, Harley Earl made 3 different versions of them. People would have been what is a Corvette, it may not have survived. Notice how the 550 hp Olds W43 option never saw the light of day in 71? The rumor from a good source was chebby threw a fit, like child holding their breath and flailing around on the floor and till they turned blue. The golden child always gets their way in GM.

Oh now we're talking about fantasy motors? https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/the-w43-oldsmobiles-dohc-455-v8-that-never-was/

Olds had their chances and blew it: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/04/18/yesterdays-car-of-tomorrow-1962-1963-oldsmobile-jetfire/ Buick was burdened with a cat-sh*t nugget of a V6 and turned it into semi-sweet lemonade in everything from street cars, to semi-exotics, to race cars. Pontiac managed to keep their 455 kicking into the mid-70s and then quietly accepted the corporate engine death walk. Every division of GM made their bed and got to lie in it, and no one forced Olds to develop a substandard design - and ask yourself this: why didn't Olds engineers nut up and do what Buick did?

Hold on... I am going to change the title of this thread. Because this should be a fun (and hopefully civil) conversation. ;)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
View attachment 119083
Other than that, I got nuthin'.

6.20 gears!?! It probably has eleventybillion:1 STR in the converter too.

• Haha

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
jour chebie can't dance like dis!

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor