Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The white shirt gonna fly up there, soon. You got 8 months to build an LS.
I head overseas soon for work. Won't be home before January. Time crunch is real. I can't have the engine down for a month or else its gone until I get back.

Problem is It'll snowball into a lot of money. You are both right, it should be done, but it will end up costing a fortune and ruining my time line. For what I need right now this will be perfect.

The next motor is going to be the work of art.

I'm with you on that brother.

I've been told that I'll have a tough time turning from the junkyard stuff once I started - and the guy that told me that was correct. It's easy to not be concerned about a long block when you have a $1k or less in it. But you are spot on that once you start dumping money into an engine that you have to show it some love. And love means money - at least in my life lol.

I believe from your posts that the bent rod in the 6.0 was disappointing, you mentioned it was the tune (self induced), but remember that you could experience the same result with a bad coil, injector, head bolt/stud, lifter, etc. As you referenced, the money starts flying with love (money) in a build - a set 1A coils ($650), lifters ($550-800), timing chain, injectors (don't get me started on them), etc.... Where and when to stop. So you've dropped your $3-5K in your short block or long block to make 1000-1500hp and then you start scattering rears, converters, driveshafts and up goes the ante (more love) hehe.

Holy snowball in October - I'll shut up for a piece :/

I've been told that I'll have a tough time turning from the junkyard stuff once I started - and the guy that told me that was correct. It's easy to not be concerned about a long block when you have a $1k or less in it. But you are spot on that once you start dumping money into an engine that you have to show it some love. And love means money - at least in my life lol.

I believe from your posts that the bent rod in the 6.0 was disappointing, you mentioned it was the tune (self induced), but remember that you could experience the same result with a bad coil, injector, head bolt/stud, lifter, etc. As you referenced, the money starts flying with love (money) in a build - a set 1A coils ($650), lifters ($550-800), timing chain, injectors (don't get me started on them), etc.... Where and when to stop. So you've dropped your $3-5K in your short block or long block to make 1000-1500hp and then you start scattering rears, converters, driveshafts and up goes the ante (more love) hehe.

Prepare to be disappointed. Lol

After some more investigative measuring and setting up a proper stand I reweighed all the Gen 4 stuff and the new forged rods.

Then I found this.

Its not so much the total weight, its where it is in the grand scheme of things. I played around with the numbers a bit and I'm 18g out on Bob weights. Mostly due to the big end of the rods it turns out. They are quite a bit heavier than stock.

So the rotating assembly is at the machine shop. It will return within 1/2g and ready for 8k rpm.

No snow yet, but usually we get the first hit by Halloween. When the women here dress slutty for Halloween they MEAN IT! 🤣

Got the last big load of goodies in today.

All kinds of good stuff.
20201008_170532.jpg

Time to get rid of the 4.33 that the Cutlass came with. 3.50 will take me where I want to go. Hopefully Motive Gear makes decent stuff, it had good reviews.
20201008_220804.jpg

I settled for a Trick Flow dampner, its SFI rated and is a 25% underdrive.
20201008_220915.jpg

It had a little battle damage from the journey to Canuckistan.

20201008_220934.jpg

First order of business was a custom finish...

20201008_220956.jpg

Much better! So it's pretty much custom.
20201008_221017.jpg

I got most of the garage cleaned up from 2 motors being ripped down, looked more like they exploded. Everything except the engine and rotating assembly is here. No more slacking, time to cage, assemble and get this girl ready to rocket.

This exact scenario happened when I was building the wagon... project scope creep. Truth is a basic cam and an LSA supercharger would have netted a better result.

The appeal of a 700hp JY engine is undeniable. The appeal of a 1000hp reliable combo is equally undeniable - but, much more expensive.

Underdrive pulleys, after running them, I just don't see the appeal. Let's gain 2 hp for less cooling and charging. It is a nice pulley but so was mine, I used mine as a jack extension.

Underdrive pulleys, after running them, I just don't see the appeal. Let's gain 2 hp for less cooling and charging. It is a nice pulley but so was mine, I used mine as a jack extension.

Remember, LS motors don't make torque, so I have to spin it to 7500. Completely unnecessary on an olds motor that can only spin to 4500. 🤣

Engine building 101
Take your time.... but hurry up
😆

Lol, exactly!

This exact scenario happened when I was building the wagon... project scope creep. Truth is a basic cam and an LSA supercharger would have netted a better result.

The appeal of a 700hp JY engine is undeniable. The appeal of a 1000hp reliable combo is equally undeniable - but, much more expensive.

While I'm at it, I should..... (insert upgrade here). Just to be sure.

Remember, LS motors don't make torque, so I have to spin it to 7500. Completely unnecessary on an olds motor that can only spin to 4500. 🤣
Mine goes to 6,000.... :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor