Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im glad im not the only insane one here who plans on going through and routing an unterminated harness and using bulkheads! Good work man, i love it.

Did you end up buying the holley crimpers for the terminal ends on the holley side? Just got my set, now im wondering if i should get some to do solid barrel terminals.

Reactions: 1 users
Im glad im not the only insane one here who plans on going through and routing an unterminated harness and using bulkheads! Good work man, i love it.

Did you end up buying the holley crimpers for the terminal ends on the holley side? Just got my set, now im wondering if i should get some to do solid barrel terminals.
I bought the MSD AMP 1.5 superseal crimper. P/N 3512MSD. I had a set of deutsch crimping crimpers and a weatherpack set.

The AMP pins for the holley were pretty simple with the MSD crimper, but its cavity for the rubber seal on the back was too big so I had to dick around with the crimper to get an acceptable crimp around the seal. The holley ECU side is an AMP 1.0. You can do it but itll take some finesse.

The Deutsch pins are no problem if you have a crimper. I have this set.

YOU WILL WANT A QUALITY DEPINNING TOOL. Don't even entertain the plastic crap TE sells. I made a few mistakes and kinda had to remap my pins because of it. Not terrible but it sucked time...

The crimps for the sensors are easy and the MSD tool had no issue with them.

If you are going to do this. Start planning now, draw a routing map, plan the pins and which connector you will need. Plan the pinouts for groups of pins on the socket, don't just go numerically or you will have sh*t crossing all over and itll be a pain in the butt.

I will take some pics of the pinouts once I am finished, but I have to remap again after digitally with all the pins and connections and wire colors so I have a digital copy, because my damn 47 pin map disappeard behind the rad and I had to redo it. Luckily I found it 4 hours after chasing all the wires out.

Reactions: 2 users
I bought the MSD AMP 1.5 superseal crimper. P/N 3512MSD. I had a set of deutsch crimping crimpers and a weatherpack set.

The AMP pins for the holley were pretty simple with the MSD crimper, but its cavity for the rubber seal on the back was too big so I had to dick around with the crimper to get an acceptable crimp around the seal. The holley ECU side is an AMP 1.0. You can do it but itll take some finesse.

The Deutsch pins are no problem if you have a crimper. I have this set.

YOU WILL WANT A QUALITY DEPINNING TOOL. Don't even entertain the plastic crap TE sells. I made a few mistakes and kinda had to remap my pins because of it. Not terrible but it sucked time...

The crimps for the sensors are easy and the MSD tool had no issue with them.

If you are going to do this. Start planning now, draw a routing map, plan the pins and which connector you will need. Plan the pinouts for groups of pins on the socket, don't just go numerically or you will have sh*t crossing all over and itll be a pain in the butt.

I will take some pics of the pinouts once I am finished, but I have to remap again after digitally with all the pins and connections and wire colors so I have a digital copy, because my damn 47 pin map disappeard behind the rad and I had to redo it. Luckily I found it 4 hours after chasing all the wires out.
Luckily i own the Holley crimpers so i shouldnt have any issues on the ECU side. I need to find a set of good deutsch and weatherpack crimpers still.

I have watched a decent amount of Devin Vanderhoof's videos and he has a couple of decent sheets to help plan/map out the cars wiring. Im not even going to touch the wiring for the car until i have everything where I need/want in order to reduce wasted time and clutter.

Did you purchase the Deutsch bulkheads as a kit or did you order everything from a supplier like TE or mouser? I found that if you are smart enough to cross-reference the part numbers and names its usually pretty cheap to order from a supplier.

Reactions: 1 user
Luckily i own the Holley crimpers so i shouldnt have any issues on the ECU side. I need to find a set of good deutsch and weatherpack crimpers still.

I have watched a decent amount of Devin Vanderhoof's videos and he has a couple of decent sheets to help plan/map out the cars wiring. Im not even going to touch the wiring for the car until i have everything where I need/want in order to reduce wasted time and clutter.

Did you purchase the Deutsch bulkheads as a kit or did you order everything from a supplier like TE or mouser? I found that if you are smart enough to cross-reference the part numbers and names its usually pretty cheap to order from a supplier.
I had a pile of Deutsch stuff from work, I bought the round connectors from Maven Performance and they came ready to go. They also have some nice terminal pinout sheets and cut templates to mount. i found a local instrumentation supply place that I could get all the little odds and ends for the industrial connectors. I ordered some specific stuff from EFI Connection so I could pin my 4 bar map and some little things.

A good set of crimpers makes this job much less painful, mine work acceptably but I have used good ones and there is a HUGE difference.

Reactions: 4 users
I had a pile of Deutsch stuff from work, I bought the round connectors from Maven Performance and they came ready to go. They also have some nice terminal pinout sheets and cut templates to mount. i found a local instrumentation supply place that I could get all the little odds and ends for the industrial connectors. I ordered some specific stuff from EFI Connection so I could pin my 4 bar map and some little things.

A good set of crimpers makes this job much less painful, mine work acceptably but I have used good ones and there is a HUGE difference.
What are the crimpers you are supposed to use for the ECU side on the Holley? I am doing a Fueltech install this winter and I was told that Holley and Fueltech use the same pins on the ECU side. Looks like you can get the MSD crimpers and they basically make jaws to do all types of connections, even spark plugs wires. Crazy that the Holley ones are 4x the price.

Does anyone else watch KSR and Haltech in the YouTurdz?

Reactions: 1 user
What are the crimpers you are supposed to use for the ECU side on the Holley? I am doing a Fueltech install this winter and I was told that Holley and Fueltech use the same pins on the ECU side. Looks like you can get the MSD crimpers and they basically make jaws to do all types of connections, even spark plugs wires. Crazy that the Holley ones are 4x the price.

This guy breaks it all down in his videos. He has several on wiring and they are extremely useful info.

Does anyone else watch KSR and Haltech in the YouTurdz?
But Haltech is aussie stuff...

Reactions: 1 users
If you've never used a set of these style crimpers, then do yourself a favor and practice on 20-30 crimps/seals on several different connectors. You'll booger several up before you get the hang of it, but once you see exactly how they are supposed to work, then it's easy as pie. Like everything, a little practice goes a long way towards perfection.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor