Olds ticket to 9s... LS swap adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
When is the first drag strip pass scheduled?

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I dont think the local track will be open for a couple weeks with the lock down. Probably do some backroads testing before that.

post a time slip when you get one

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
post a time slip when you get one
Absolutely will. This is going to be a learning opportunity for more than just me. Getting the motor in and running was just phase 1, I am going to put in detail on what I do to make it fast, along with tuning data and data logs.

Just picked up a GoPro from a buddy today, this thread is about to get interesting.

Reactions: 5 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
What PSI are you shooting for?

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
What PSI are you shooting for?

Right now I'm on the spring in the gate, becomes buoyant at 5psi and should deliver 8psi. The 4 port boost control MAC valve need to go in and be tested which should take me to 12psi. I should run out of fuel around there. So that's the goal for this season. 12psi and no rod folding on pump 91.

That should bring me to about 525-550whp. Ballpark.

Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Pulled the TR5 plugs out today, put in some TR6 NGK plugs gapped to 0.28".

Old plugs in order. Top left is #1, top right is #2
20200502_141405.jpg

Not so bad, she was pretty rich for a while with these.
While checking over the plugs a buddy stopped by to drop off my bike jack, he just did a trans with it. While showing off the car I discovered that I kicked off a piece of intake piping on the intercooler outlet. It didn't have enough bite on the lip so I moved some silicone couplers and adjusted.
I softened my tune a bit on timing, added fuel in boost to a safer level, 10.0 above 10psig. Upped the boost timing kill to 8psi and went for a rip.
Just up the highway and back, like a block from the house, upside of being right off a secondary highway.

I hit 7psi at 55% throttle just under 4k rpm. Car felt good and stayed straight. lol
It is a damn rocket. Might drop a few more degrees in the middle and push up to 5k rpm. A little nervous to really push it and melt something but so far it's a beast.

Tomorrow I'll log a few third gear pulls and get some data. Post some pics of the logs. Should be a good time, got a Gopro from a buddy today so video will follow.

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I hit 7psi at 55% throttle just under 4k rpm. Car felt good and stayed straight. lol
It is a damn rocket. Might drop a few more degrees in the middle and push up to 5k rpm. A little nervous to really push it and melt something but so far it's a beast.

Tomorrow I'll log a few third gear pulls and get some data. Post some pics of the logs. Should be a good time, got a Gopro from a buddy today so video will follow.

For street use stay with a safe, low rpm number and leave it there until 5K (above the peak TQ rpm). 8 might be conservative, but I wouldn't go over 12 deg below 5k on pump gas, just no reason for it. Uncle Rodney will appreciate that type of tune anyway lol. When you are at the strip it will live over 5k anyway at 3/4 of second past launching.

I don't want to be Captain Obvious (in case you have experienced this already), but your description is the incredible part of a turbo car. I never expected what you describe above when we first started running turbos. Throttle position is almost irrelevant to HP production. Anything over 45-55% TPS and it's all the same as 100% - which is completely opposite of every NA car I've ever driven. The next anomaly is cruising at 70ish mph and hitting a mild grade. 2-5% additional throttle to maintain speed and the map reading will start approaching 90+kpa, almost zero vacuum, despite being at 12-18% throttle. Then you look down and your running 95 without any effort - it's ULTRA slick. If you datalog that you'll see the additional fuel getting thrown in to maintain 14.5-14.8 AFR reading.

p.s. - you beat me, I don't have plates/registration yet. Glad to see it!!

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor