olds to chevy swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make fun of Fords all you want, but when was the last time you could pick up a low mileage SBC short block with a roller cam, forged pistons, and a high nickel block for $75? I see Ford Ho 302's all the time at the U Pull it for that money resting in Lincoln Mark VII LSC's. I even saw one with 49,000 miles earlier this year and the car was beautiful and the engine was as clean as new inside (LSC's die due to air suspension, not mechanical engine issues). And yes, the LSC engine is identical to a Mustang 5.0. You can get a used E-303 or B-303 cam for $100, and a set of heads for under $1,000 and have a nice short block for very cheap. The Ford 302 is right now the best performance bargain available, not the 350 SBC. I'll take one in a 1960-67 Ford Falcon please!

I also have to add that I have never heard a Chevy that sounds as good as a Ford with exhaust. That is one of my favorite things I love about Mustangs when they have a nice exhaust system on them, you cant beat that tone they have!!! 😀

OK, I'll give Ford the later FI 5.0's-- if they could have put an automatic transmission behind one that would stay together 😛 Other than the 5.0, I can't think of any other engines from Ford that I would consider great. I think even the Pontiac 301 was a better engine than the carbureted Ford 302.

Ford's competition for the GM G bodies was the awesome Fairmont 😱 Sez it all! 😛

For the kids who have never seen a Fairmont (Because so few still exist, thank God!) here is one. If you thought a G body base 229 or 231 engine was pathetic, Fairmont had a 140 CI inline 4 as the base engine. Even the inline 6 option was only 200 CI. And that little bit of frame rot behind the wheels of your G body? Childs play- the snub frames of the unibody Fairmont would often just rust right off the car, rendering it a trip right to the junkyard.

325_513621_95b9be37-4d5c-473b-9a2e-0d6d383d85bb.jpeg

-UT-

damn $8000 for 700 horse, i must of gotten a deal i only paid $4500 shipped for little over 600 horse all on pump gas.

and yes i do need a buttload of horsepower to go from light to light.
its all because i can and why the hell not! 😀

Uncletruck said:
In the case of this car that has a 307 now, swapping to an Olds 350 or 403 is going to be cheaper than switching over to use a SBC. As a generalization, if starting from scratch, what you say about the SBC being a better bang for the buck is true. I think we are talking about a budget sort of swap here, not going all out either way Olds or Chevy.

If this is a car for the street, and drag racing and quarter mile times are set aside, you don't need to build an $8000.00 700 HP engine to get from light to light. An Olds 403 or 350 in a G body done up in the most basic form has more than enough torque to satisfy the heavy lead foot, and get respectable mileage to be able to drive the car regularly and be 100% reliable too. This could be done in this 307 equipped car for a few hundred bucks, or free if the cards are played right.

-UT-

I would love to do a nice Fairmont like that only with wheels and nice paint etc. Most of the mustang suspension rear etc work and its LIGHT, AND it has a better longer much easier to launch and keep stable wheelbase compared to the Mustang. Short wheelbase makes for a hard to recover platform when things get squirley. The Fairmonts have great potential for a street strip car. Both the 5.0 & 350 chevy can make great power for the money. That said when your goals include pump gas with reliable rpm to move a heavy street car then cubes leave these little motor short without a power adder. Just like the race motors that have to make power reliably big cubes are better at least until the point you can't hook up the torque.

i have 6g's in my SBC. its nothing to extreme, but hoping to but in the upper 400's and even more with a bit of meth. but if i had to do it all over again, i would do a lsx or BBC. either way, that money spend on any of them options is spent better than on an olds engine, (hp:$$) ratio.

I thought I'd have a lot more naysayers jumping on the "I want a Ford Fairmont" bandwagon :banana: If you are going drag racing, you better get out your welder. I'm surprised no one has given me a twenty minute dissertation on how the Ford Fox platform turned the automotive world around :lol: BTW, Ford's competition for Camaros and Firebirds in the G body/Fairmont era was the Mustang II. Just another AWESOME Ford product I gotta have!!

With what I sold off the '79 Delta, I don't even have $6.00 in to my Olds 350. :notworthy:

-UT-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor