Operation Lipstick on a Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Any oil in the compressor? At least it isn't a A4 compressor, a few seized up on me.

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Apologies if it's been covered, perhaps you can point me to a thread, but how did you learn to, and how do you program (hardware, software), your cars' computers? Do you have to pay to unlock each car's computer? Do you know anything about competitive services? Am I asking the right question? For the record, my build is a '95 LT1 which is an OBD I system which is different from what I'm asking about. I'm comfortable with my knowledge about my LT1 system but am interested in OBD II systems. If I should take this off line, lemme know.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It was the diode that fried. Got 2 and a switch at Crazy Rays for the price of admission for 2 (neighbor went with) and "have a nice day" from the cute, snaggletooth girl taking money
20180603_124145.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Apologies if it's been covered, perhaps you can point me to a thread, but how did you learn to, and how do you program (hardware, software), your cars' computers? Do you have to pay to unlock each car's computer? Do you know anything about competitive services? Am I asking the right question? For the record, my build is a '95 LT1 which is an OBD I system which is different from what I'm asking about. I'm comfortable with my knowledge about my LT1 system but am interested in OBD II systems. If I should take this off line, lemme know.
No problem. I didn't do much to the software- just a Stage 1 tune from ZZ Performance. They couldn't/didn't do anything for the VATS. I wired the resistor in to match the key on the BCM. It's somewhere back in this thread (pag 30s-ish).

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Wiring checks out OK.... :mad: Could it be that my reman compressor is no good? I mean it ran; it just fried the diode, obviously a ridiculous current draw. I filled it with the proper amount of oil through one of the lines on the first install, but had to pull it when the engine blew. I recapped the ports, and had it sitting on the pulley while it was out. It's been level/installed on the engine for probably 2 months now, and never had power to it until yesterday. It looks like this:
CS0058A__ra_p.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
LIFE IS GOOD! I got it working!!! Don't know :wtf: I did, other than replace the diode, dick with the relay, and put the junkyard pressure switch in. The relay turned out to be a big culprit: the one in there was dead, I put another in only to get half voltage, then popped it apart and sprayed some contact cleaner.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yup, makes perfect sense. Half voltage = 2X current = fried diode.

Of course diodes can just short but sounds like you got it to me.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Garth, i was thinking about it this morning. I'm pretty sure the diode fried because I was backfeeding the battery voltage between the diode and the compressor. It was doing its job; I just overloaded it. If I had been on the firewall side of it, it would be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Major Milestone Update: the air conditioning works! That was the last major functioning system in the project. I don't have a meat thermometer handy, so I don't know exactly how cold it is. But, the drier and lines condensate and get pretty damned cold! Of course, we got a cold front and it's only 70 couple degrees, so I don't need it..... Go figure.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor