Operation Lipstick on a Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Would it be possible to tie your post-cat O2 sense wire to your pre-cat sense wire, with a resistor in line so the post-cat line would always show leaner? I have heard of this done in Panther body's to keep from replacing old catalytic converters.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Would it be possible to tie your post-cat O2 sense wire to your pre-cat sense wire, with a resistor in line so the post-cat line would always show leaner? I have heard of this done in Panther body's to keep from replacing old catalytic converters.
That's an interesting concept; I'll have to look into it. 45 miles into work this morning, and no SES light.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Non OE coils are garbage in my experience.

My l67 fbird had a miss and I swapped a coil thinking thats what it was (turned out to be a broken valve spring). Got the engine fixed and it had a persistent miss under medium load/boost. Put the original l57 coil on and bam it ran awesome again.

Could try putting some GM l67 boost coils on it and see if its better. Word is l67 coils are hotter.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Decided to fix something that's been nagging me. When I installed the 79 T/A wheel, it never sat right- straight down the road had the wheel at 11 o'clock. So, I set out to what was what with the 2 columns (both tilt, 1 79, 1 85). I bought one of those lock plate removal tools, and yanked the canceling cam out of T/A column. It is the same part as the 2002 Firebird cam from the donor car. The Carquest guy said it was the same part number from the 79 T/A to the 85 Bonneville as well. Huh. I pulled the wheel out of the Bonneville. Could it be the switch? A check with rockauto confirmed the same part number for the signal switch in each car. Now, I'm scratching my head as to why I can't move the wheel. The T/A adapter hub has a minimal tolerance hole for the horn button extension, so that can't be moved. I could have elongated it, but I wanted to do it right. Then, it came to me- the lock plate! Indeed they are different; the T/A one had a slot for the horn extension. So, I put the T/A lock plate in which let me rotate the cam. Wouldn't you know, I overshot, and it was almost to 1 o'clock. I made a mental note of one of the hub screws to the tach, so I'd have it right this time. It was pretty nerve racking trying to not break the plastic horn extension off, but the wheel is much straighter now. I'd post pics, but it ain't working for me again.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Decided to fix something that's been nagging me. When I installed the 79 T/A wheel, it never sat right- straight down the road had the wheel at 11 o'clock. So, I set out to what was what with the 2 columns (both tilt, 1 79, 1 85). I bought one of those lock plate removal tools, and yanked the canceling cam out of T/A column. It is the same part as the 2002 Firebird cam from the donor car. The Carquest guy said it was the same part number from the 79 T/A to the 85 Bonneville as well. Huh. I pulled the wheel out of the Bonneville. Could it be the switch? A check with rockauto confirmed the same part number for the signal switch in each car. Now, I'm scratching my head as to why I can't move the wheel. The T/A adapter hub has a minimal tolerance hole for the horn button extension, so that can't be moved. I could have elongated it, but I wanted to do it right. Then, it came to me- the lock plate! Indeed they are different; the T/A one had a slot for the horn extension. So, I put the T/A lock plate in which let me rotate the cam. Wouldn't you know, I overshot, and it was almost to 1 o'clock. I made a mental note of one of the hub screws to the tach, so I'd have it right this time. It was pretty nerve racking trying to not break the plastic horn extension off, but the wheel is much straighter now. I'd post pics, but it ain't working for me again.
Suddenly I can't post pics when I use the Samsung browser on my S7. If I use Chrome it works fine.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Another small victory: I've been annoyed by a strange buzz in the dash since I did the engine swap that sounded like a dry speedo cable. The problem with that is that there is no cable; it's all electric (boogey, woogey)! While waiting for the kid's school to open, I heard some crap in the ashtray. I pulled 2 interior screws and some weird latch catch/ strike thing out, and...... NO MORE BUZZ! WOOHOO!

Last edited:
  • Happy
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Got started on the dash. First order of business is making the fillers for between the gauges and the future bezel.
20190224_170104.jpg

I need to cut a few more of varying thicknesses and one for the heater controls and radio. The plan is to make the panel from sheet aluminum, paint these spacers black, use some wood veneer, use a 1/4 round router but to finish it out. Then, polish the aluminum reveal for a nice trim. It should look really nice if I can execute the vision in my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Got started on the dash. First order of business is making the fillers for between the gauges and the future bezel.
View attachment 106953
I need to cut a few more of varying thicknesses and one for the heater controls and radio. The plan is to make the panel from sheet aluminum, paint these spacers black, use some wood veneer, use a 1/4 round router but to finish it out. Then, polish the aluminum reveal for a nice trim. It should look really nice if I can execute the vision in my head.
You got this

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah, sure I do. That was the 2nd draft. The 1st was way off. I lost my top bearing router bit, and my bottom bearing bit dulled out in no time flat.
Perseverance is key!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor