Opinions on reproduction seat belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Alright guys. I'm going from split bench to buckets and from burgandy to black. I'm looking at buying reproduction, black, bucket seat seatbelts.

The only thing that gives me pause is that my brother bought all new belts for his 78 Z28 and he doesn't really like the action on the new shoulder belts. They want to lock when you put them on. You have to pull them very slowly to get a good smooth action putting them on.

Those of you with reproduction belts, how do you like them? Where did you buy them? Would you do it differently?

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i hear you. i am in the same boat.went from tan 60/40 and now have black buckets. i have been buying used black seat belts one at a time as i am finding them.its like finding a needle in a hay stack.i as well am thinking of going with after market. but all the ones i see dont have the plastic sleeve for the insides of the buckets. been looking for 5 plus years. i will be keeping an eye on this post for ideas my self.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Maybe look into the outfits that re-web yours? The hard part would be making the sleeves the right color and keeping it on over the long haul.

Personally, any belt that does not include the OE locking ratchet to relieve the constant pulling of the belt on the occupants is not for me....a feature that is sorely missed in pretty much every other vehicle on the road when I'm not in the wagon

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
i hear you. i am in the same boat.went from tan 60/40 and now have black buckets. i have been buying used black seat belts one at a time as i am finding them.its like finding a needle in a hay stack.i as well am thinking of going with after market. but all the ones i see dont have the plastic sleeve for the insides of the buckets. been looking for 5 plus years. i will be keeping an eye on this post for ideas my self.
I bought belts from Dixie Restoration Depot. Their supplier is Seatbelt Solutions out of Jupiter Florida. I also bought a pair of the 12" flat style buckle sleeves....
https://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/buckle-sleeves
Dixie sells them as well though they are not listed on the website. They are $5.95 a piece. I'll post up on how I like the belts eventually but it will be awhile since there is still quite a bit of work to get the interior back in the car, much less get it running.

I'll have feedback on the buckle sleeves sooner. Hope this helps.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Wasn't there a company (if my memory serves) in Texas called Snake Oil Products, that would do seatbelt restoration?
You're absolutely right, Jeff.
Although I haven't seen them advertise in quite awhile. I'm wondering if they're still in business.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
My old grey seat belts were getting worn and faded,and I had put new Scat Procar seats in that are black and grey vs. the original all grey seats.
I ordered a set of black belts from Seatbelt Planet and they look awesome,but I dont really like the way the locking mechanism works compared to the stock ones.
You gotta pull it out really slow when putting it on or it locks up instantly,then you gotta play around with it to get it on.
I am getting used to it and they are real nice belts.
Guy

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
Just to add another perspective, Our shop car has the Seatbelt Solutions belts in it and I just spent roughly 10 minutes just sitting in the car yanking the seatbelts out in different ways. I have found that when you jerk on the belt they lock up as intended but a smooth fast operation works very well.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I bought the ones from Dixie,so far the only thing I don't like is they don't have the one mounting tab that slides into the car before you bolt the mechanism in place. Seems kind of weak to me.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just to add another perspective, Our shop car has the Seatbelt Solutions belts in it and I just spent roughly 10 minutes just sitting in the car yanking the seatbelts out in different ways. I have found that when you jerk on the belt they lock up as intended but a smooth fast operation works very well.

I bought the ones from Dixie,so far the only thing I don't like is they don't have the one mounting tab that slides into the car before you bolt the mechanism in place. Seems kind of weak to me.

Thank you both for adding to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor