Optima battery(info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
I just wanted to get some info on the optima batteries.. I have a cutlass with achevy 350.. it is a street car..I just want to know what optima would be good..thanks yo

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
sbcCuttY said:
I just wanted to get some info on the optima batteries.. I have a cutlass with achevy 350.. it is a street car..I just want to know what optima would be good..thanks yo

Get a red top if you have an average car and assesories, if you have a bangin system get a yellow top

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm using an Optima Red Top; 800 Amp cold cranking; 50 Ah (Model: 34/78, #8004-003). It used to be mounted in the regular location under the hood, but now it's in the trunk.

Andry

bubba1228

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2009
Pueblo, CO
kiko said:
I'm using an Optima Red Top; 800 Amp cold cranking; 50 Ah (Model: 34/78, #8004-003). It used to be mounted in the regular location under the hood, but now it's in the trunk.

Andry

+1

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Red Top batteries are starting batteries, and the yellow are dual purpose. Deep cycle and starting. The yellow top batteries have a very high reserve capacity. The yellow tops are around $189, and the red tops are around $159. I would get a yellow top.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Just FYI regarding Optima batteries. In order to charge them, they must be hooked to a good battery to "jump" it, otherwise, they wont take a charge from a charger. I know this because I have tried to trickle charge an Optima and it wouldnt work until I hooked it up to a good battery with 12.6v first.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
bill said:
Just FYI regarding Optima batteries. In order to charge them, they must be hooked to a good battery to "jump" it, otherwise, they wont take a charge from a charger. I know this because I have tried to trickle charge an Optima and it wouldnt work until I hooked it up to a good battery with 12.6v first.

I've done it on more than one occasion, so maybe you had something connected improperly.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Qdub24 said:
bill said:

I've done it on more than one occasion, so maybe you had something connected improperly.

+1

The first red top in my SS sat in the corner (on the ground) for 6 years. Dropped a trickle charge on it and it fully charged. My SS has been down for 6 months and the lil Red top still has some juice in it. I've read peeps having problems with em. Ive ran em in all my rides without any problems...

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have a red top and 2 yellows that i use to run in my regal, honestly besides the fact i got 5-6 years out of 2 of them i say that they are not worth the cash unless you want them for show. i am not impressed. just my opinion and nothing more

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
bill said:

I read in hotrod you only need to do that if the optima has a real low charge. Sometimes its so low it doesnt register to the actual charger, so you need to hook up the other batt. so the charger recognizes that there is actually a battery there, and it will charge the optima and the other battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor