O'Reilly's part quality vs competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
The people that work at the Autozone also work as Walmart store greeters where I live. [emoji28]

• Dislike
  • Scared
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The people that work at the Autozone also work as Walmart store greeters where I live.
emoji28.png

Happy to hear they are working and not trying to sponge off the gov.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I live within throwing distance of advance autozone and oreillys. Oreillys is closer by about .2 miles. Plus I like the store layout better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Still, shop around. O'reilly's does have some good parts, but they also sell some parts everyone else sells as well, so double check to ensure you're getting the best deal overall. Now, if it's a matter of less than a dollar difference, I'd say support your local merchants. For example, if you can get Mobil 1 in the jug but it costs a good chunk more than you can get it somewhere else, why buy it there?

And watch out for rockauto.com stuff. 99% of the time, you can get GM parts and or decent quality aftermarket for good prices, but as such, if you have stuff coming from "Warehouse A" and some from "Warehouse B" you're going to get soaked for shipping. If they have all the stuff coming from one warehouse, you're good. Just something to watch for. At least they let you know.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Don't know how I missed this thread last week.
We got our Oriellys last summer in Penn Hills. They seem pretty damn knowledgeable. I use them first. The parts quality seems to be good. But as already said, like A.Z. and Advance, they're under stocked and the best deals are online. They've just remodeled a giant H.H.Gregg store on Rt.22 on the border of Wilkins township and Monroville Pa. Into an AutoZone warehouse sized store. They're right across the highway from our Pep Boys. About 4 miles from me. Can't wait to see what they stock.
I hate when you go to any of them and they tell you 2 days. Hell if I had 2 days I'd order it from Summit and have it the nest day. Summit is only 2 hours from me ( Ohio ) so they're free shipping turns out (98% of the time) to be just over night . If I order less than $99.00, the shipping is way less than the cost of driving there. It cost about $12,00 in turnpike tolls alone round trip. They charge $7.00 just to enter the Pa pike from Ohio. The Pa. turnpike is worse than USPS when it comes to price increases. I only go there any more when I order something big or heavy that would cost extra for truck shipping.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'll have to give them an attaboy. Ordered disc pads, drum shoes, rear hub seal, and the hub nut socket yesterday about 2:00 for my F350, had it all delivered in less than 20 minutes..and they had it all in the store.

Still spent more than I would have other places, but seeing as it was my ride home, time and one-stop shopping was more important than cheapest price.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
They just opened up an O'Reilly's near me. They seem to have stolen some of the better Zoners. So far my experience is that the two stores are interchangeable.

That said, I make most of my purchases from RockAuto unless it's a big heavy thing that will cost $$$ to send back the core. Agree with HurstOlds, when you shop RockAuto you have to pay attention to the shipping location. Sometimes it's a late-night game to see if I switch major brands to see how much of a difference consolidating the shipping location makes in the total price.

I like that their website will set a cookie and keep a shopping cart alive for you for weeks. That way I build a wish list, and when I am ready to order one thing, I see if I can get a few long-term needs tossed in for essentially free shipping. The disadvantage with RockAuto is when you buy something and realize you need to return it due to your own incompetence in ordering the wrong part, you have to pay shipping to get your money back.

When buying parts, it's poker game and the winner is the one who best understands all the rules of the game.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
They just opened up an O'Reilly's near me. They seem to have stolen some of the better Zoners. So far my experience is that the two stores are interchangeable.

That said, I make most of my purchases from RockAuto unless it's a big heavy thing that will cost $$$ to send back the core. Agree with HurstOlds, when you shop RockAuto you have to pay attention to the shipping location. Sometimes it's a late-night game to see if I switch major brands to see how much of a difference consolidating the shipping location makes in the total price.

I like that their website will set a cookie and keep a shopping cart alive for you for weeks. That way I build a wish list, and when I am ready to order one thing, I see if I can get a few long-term needs tossed in for essentially free shipping. The disadvantage with RockAuto is when you buy something and realize you need to return it due to your own incompetence in ordering the wrong part, you have to pay shipping to get your money back.

When buying parts, it's poker game and the winner is the one who best understands all the rules of the game.

Pretty much my game all the way...except I try really hard not to buy the wrong stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Local independent parts store near me just sold to O'reilly's last November. He opened his store in 1980, counter guys are good and most stayed at the store, just have new shirts.
They are on the other side of town, kind of a PITA to pick up something on the way home, but I've had a charge acct there for 20 years.
My Grand Cherokee need a blower motor resistor last week. Called em up and got quoted $111.00. Could have it next day.
Looked on line, about the same $$, Rockauto was as low $65 for a name brand. Called the Advance store I've been using lately as their pricing has been beating everyone every time. Could also have next day, for.............. $24.22! Yeah, I let them take my money.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My closest Oreilly's is 3.5 miles away and I used to always go there but Autozone built a store a 1/2 mile from my house and that is where I have been going now for quite awhile.
Most of the chain auto stores in general have a relatively high employee turn over rate so anytime I need a specific part I look it up myself and print it out and just hand it to them when I walk in.
When I am in "project" mode most of my stuff comes from Summit or Jegs anyways and occasionally I will order from RockAuto but as stated you really have to watch shipping charges from multiple locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor