Our 79 Monte Carlo- Pro Touring Project

Tinbender 66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2012
Arlington, Washington
Subscribed. I gotta watch this one as suspension mods are on the short list for my car and I've been checkin' out your stuff. It's nice to hear that you are doing it on a "normal" guy budget. Fun stuff.

Blake B

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2011
KS
subscribed..

i hope you guys keep it updated often.

i'm looking to really dig into my car this winter and could use some pointers and this sounds like you guys are headed in the same direction i wanted to go in.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm also interested to see how this car turns out. I've been following the build of the '84 Monte SS with the new Schwartz chassis over on MonteSS.com, and its a nice car, but I'm curious to see what can be done to your car on a budget basis. Looking forward to the updates and photos.

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
We got the car up on thew lift yesterday and I snapped a few pictures of the car as it stands right now. The underneath is solid with just surface rust, no holes and frame looks great as well. I took a few pictures of the cut outs the previous owner installed.

We took the car for one drive and the transmission quit shifting already. We pulled the pan and found a ton of metal chips in the pan and filter. The transmission is most likely ruined, we are going to try a filter/fluid change first and see if that fixes it temporary. I posted a picture of the pan and the metal chips in it, I will post the filter picture soon.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6,445
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6,427
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6,471
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6,426

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Tony_SS said:
Well that stinks... might be a good opportunity for an OD trans now.

We talked about that. We also have a brand new TCI Street Fighter TH400 sitting here that needs a home.. so that might be the new transplant.

Here is the filter, pretty ugly!

Attachments

• IMG_3405.JPG
    IMG_3405.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,728

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
If this is a pro tour street car you would go OD. If its purely a race car or a no budget rattle can job go with the old 3 speed. Loved the ole th350/th400 just saying.

Ehh. I guess not neccessarily. I live next to two interstates & I think of street car as a capable on the interstate as well as a stop light warrior. Naturally over & above it stops & handles well.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you're looking at ultimately building a pro touring car, then I would consider a properly prepared 200R4. It would go into the car with a minimum of fuss, doesn't require any computer controls, and can be built to handle quite a bit of horsepower if need be. That way, you could keep the 3.73 gears, and still get reasonable fuel economy on the highway.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor