Overhaulin 1982 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
I just watched online an episode of Overhaulin with an older gentlemans 1982 Chevy El Camino. They turned the from of it into a camaro front from the 60's. They did the same to the rear with the lights in the tailgate. Its an interesting modification they did to it. From a scale from 0-10 I'd say 7.5 What do you all think?

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Like the front,but the rear should have 68 firebird tail lights and the license pocket should have been shaved and relocated to the tool pan.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I did not like it. As V8 Rumble has pointed out, the craftsmanship was very good, but to me, it was just wrong.
I believe that the license plate was relocated, from the tailgate, to down below the tailgate, in order to allow the Camaro taillights to be installed in the tailgate.
I felt that they were trying to erase any evidence that it was originally a 1980s El Camino. They removed the '80s front header panel, grill and bumper, and changed it over to look like a 1967 Camaro. They removed the '80s rear bumper, relocated the rear license plate, and changed it over to look like a 1967 Camaro. They removed the '80s interior, and changed it over to look like a 1967 Camaro.
Usually, when a vehicle is on the show, they try to work with existing design features of the vehicle, in order to smooth them out, or make them look sleeker or more streamlined, but that wasn't what happened on this one. I liked the initial rendering that Foose did for the El Camino. Then things kind of took a left turn.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Westbank of NOLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2014
New Orleans
That custom air intake would have been SWEET if he could've pulled in all together. As for the car, its a piece of art . Awesome custom work but its no longer a 80's ElCo. I could accept the front mods, but that rear is just too much wrong (its the only way I could describe it).

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I can almost accept the front end modifications....but the rear doesn't do it for me. I don't like the taillights in the tailgate.
I like the Camaro SS vents in the hood...and of course, I like the flip up SS style headlamp doors

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Nice frankencamino. IMO it would have been better to put an older elco front end on it. I puked a little when I saw the Chevy orange LS3 and that ugly rear end. Definitely good overall workmanship but poor taste mixing angular 80's body with 60's curves.. I'm surprised they didn't paint it with Chips favorite 2 tone paint scheme.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think all in all the front end looks pretty good on there but I would have sacrificed the hood vents for a low profile cowl hood just to retain the cool air cleaner set up and the valve covers to cover the coil packs instead of having a non retro looking LS3 in there with a plastic engine cover.
As far as the rear I agree that is just does not look right having taillights in the tailgate and if they really were going for a "what if prototype car"
you would have to think would a 60's designer put them there? Highly unlikely.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
They should have tried to use a Chevelle instead of a Camaro, or an older elco perhaps as mentioned.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor