Performance 307 build!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallblockFTW

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2010
alright update. i gave up on the 307 because an sbc came along, but im thinking about rebuilding it and putting a junkyard turbo setup on it. :mrgreen:

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN

Bonegrater

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2010
Richmond, VA
If the heads are the biggest hurdle, will any other olds heads swap across? Or are the 5A, 6A & 7A heads the only option for the 307? Ex., will 350/403 heads swap with less machine work than machining the dinky 307 heads?
I'm new to the 307, but a friend of mine had one once in an 84 Chevy LWB 4WD truck with 35" tires, and that 307 ran great. It would boil those 35s and ran as good as most 350s in the same set-up. He had like $1200-$1500 tops in the engine but I've lost contact with him over the years. Wish I could post his set-up, but it really blew my mind that that little 307 ran like that.
Sorry for coming in a little late on the post, I was just looking through the forums and wanted to ask this question for curiosity's sake.

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
The best smog heads are the "5A" heads, found on 1980-85 307 engines. Install stock 350 valve's (1.875" Intake and 1.562" exhaust) and mill these heads 0.030", for a true 8.7:1 compression ratio.

Yea you can run any 1966-72 330/350 SBO heads. 1970 and later heads will have to be shaved 0.0450" to return to the 9.5:1 compression ratio of the 307 heads.

Bonegrater

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2010
Richmond, VA
What about cranks and rods. Is there any factory cranks that will work, other than the 330 forged? Also, is there any way to stroke it without major clearance mods?

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
strength wise, you could throw in a stock 350 crank since they are stronger than the stock 307 cranks.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
330 heads might be your best bet. Small chambers, around 60CC and their chambers are only a bit bigger than your bore. Your stock crank is fine. You can off set grind your crank to use the 2" sbc rod journal or 1.88" Honda rod journal. Problem is you need custom pistons, which are not cheap. With the Honda journal and a good over bore, you would be close to 350 cubic inches. Ask any Olds guy which 400 CI motor they would pick, the square bore early 400 or the later tiny bore, long stroke 400? Nearly everyone would pick the early 400, revs much higher without destroying itself. It is kind of like doing a 305 stroker, why bother? The 307 your friend had was probably a sbc 307, which most will say were junk. I had an Olds 307 in a truck and it was better than the tired sbc 350 it replaced.

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
hey guys, new member, i just want to make 1 comment on this 307 fight that you seem to have, both are right, it is a good motor to get grocery from the store, and it is good for reliability, performance wise, hmmmmm..... i built a 307 awhile back, everyone laughed at me, much like the poor young kid who wants to upgrade the slug. my motor started out as a 68 block, put a 327 crank with some smooth machining, (327 blew up, it didnt like the 10 grand rev!! was a drunk night) stuck camel bump heads ontop with a crane fireball .675 lift cam not sure on lift, but it was high, put a vic jr single plane intake, billet distrib. muncie 4 speed and a ford 9 inch with 4.10 gears. this was jammed into a 73 nova, and the damn thing would not die, 12 years of complete torture other then changing oil and setting them damn solid lifters it never said no, it ran 11 sec consistently, few times it hit high 10s<<< lots of money to get it, but the damn thing was retarded, 3500 before it made power screamed right through til 7800 where i shifted. bottom end was all stock crap from local parts store, stock rods, all the money was spent on the top end, not sure if you want to call it a 307, but that is what i done and it worked great, now power wise i dont think it made 450 ponies but it sure did move. just my 2 cents, im not a young grasshopper anymore, but im not an old wheel chair fart either. the still runs to this day, it is in the garage on a stand, it out lived the car, go figure, i always ran sbc an swear by them but that 307 made me think twice, as for the 442 i jus got a 87 442 with the ho 307, now i can say 1 thing so keep this in mind you just never know what the guy has under his hood, make a choice as there isnt both worlds to have here, either street car or drag car, you cant have both with 1 car, many try an many fail, so beware of the next savage beast i will be unleashing on the public this summer. enjoy guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor