Picked up another Pontiac 455

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I love anything different and man is that clean. I felt the same and found a very nice 350 Rocket for $120, anything to get it going. Mine is nice but no where near that clean.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
olds307 and 403 said:
I love anything different and man is that clean. I felt the same and found a very nice 350 Rocket for $120, anything to get it going. Mine is nice but no where near that clean.

That lifter valley being clean was a HUGE sigh of relief. I got a few raw deals with used engines this year so I hope this one is good to go.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
G-Body_Vet said:
Anubis said:
Nice find.....That thing is clean inside. You should have bought an LS1 :shock: LS1 technology is superior. You will stop better and handle better and get better gas mileage - LOL

http://www.gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47377

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....I know I've said it myself. :rofl:
This one was an impulse buy! I couldn't help it.
I here you guys! :mrgreen:

I don't have a good 455 anymore, but I still have my '69 428/390 it might find it's way into '85 Cutlass I got last summer. I mean unless I run across a 4.8... :lol:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
" I just want something to get the car drivable right now." That's how most of my projects end up. :rofl: Works so well I just leave it alone. I've really only re-manufactured 1 motor, my 301. All the rest just worked fine. Hope that works for you.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
" I just want something to get the car drivable right now." That's how most of my projects end up. :rofl: Works so well I just leave it alone. I've really only re-manufactured 1 motor, my 301. All the rest just worked fine. Hope that works for you.

I used to be the king of swapping used engines....but that was when I was into bowties. It seemed like everything back then had worn valve guides and cams. I think that contributed to wanting to completely rebuild something.

But anyway....my LH exhuast manifold had a nasty chip next to the broken stud, making it irreparable. I can either hunt for another stock manifold or step up to some RA manifolds.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That engine seems super clean and I don't believe the rated hp on that engine. I had a 74 GP with the 400 version rated at 225 and that engine had more power than what they claimed and good gas mileage. You got a great find with that one

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
I heard that cast Iron can be welded. check out youtube then ask your local welders what they can do. It's worth a try before your major hunt begins.
T

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
marz442 said:
Nice find. Im looking for a 455 for my olds , but very hard to find in chicago.
I think you'll find an olds 455 befor you'll find a pontiac 455, Those pontiac engine's are really scarce.
Gbarrie.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
pontiacgp said:
That engine seems super clean and I don't believe the rated hp on that engine. I had a 74 GP with the 400 version rated at 225 and that engine had more power than what they claimed and good gas mileage. You got a great find with that one

Pontiac was doing a lot of underrating around that time so who knows?????? I just want it to run already!

jetsetw31 said:
I heard that cast Iron can be welded. check out youtube then ask your local welders what they can do. It's worth a try before your major hunt begins.
T

No go on the cast iron. I work with three certified welders. We never repair anything cast iron.

marz442 said:
Nice find. Im looking for a 455 for my olds , but very hard to find in chicago.

I sent you a PM. I have a 403 that I won't be using if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor