Picked up another Pontiac 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
'74 Block from a Grandville, YW code, 51 heads. Good condtion, will get the re-gasket treatment, performer intake for weight savings, a carb rebuild, same color paint, new chain and run it as is on $hit gas since it's a low CR engine. Was real clean inside, decent compression, no crusty bolts for once.

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Thats GOLD you have their. Pontiacs 455 is getting hard to find! Just out of curiousity whats the HP on that engine.
How many mile's she has on her.I'ed love to put one in my GP
Gbarrie.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
This particular one is only rated at 250hp. Not a big deal to me though because 455's were built for torque and that's what I want. Mileage was 90xxx-ish according to the previous owner but I rarely believe anything people tell me. The compression was good, timing chain didn't have too much slack, plugs weren't fouled and the top of the heads weren't sludged up at all. So let's see how this one does with a quick freshening up for now.

The other engine I'm building is on the back burner because of a cylinder head issue. I don't want to re-invest in iron heads and not ready to spend $2600 for the ones I want just yet. I just want something to get the car drivable right now.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
tc1959 said:
Nice score. Those have to getting hard to find.

I can't ever find a complete 400 that hasn't been monkeyed with either. Pontiac engines in general are getting hard to find, especially in running condition.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I pulled the intake, front cover and exhaust manifolds. Pretty pleased with what I've found so far. No broken bolts and no corrosion on the front cover either! It's amazingly clean too. It's about time I caught a break.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Anubis said:
Nice find.....That thing is clean inside. You should have bought an LS1 :shock: LS1 technology is superior. You will stop better and handle better and get better gas mileage - LOL

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47377

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....I know I've said it myself. :rofl:
This one was an impulse buy! I couldn't help it.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
WOWSERS that's clean. Good for you Steve, you finally caught a break. My last 400 project had 90k on it and it wasn't half as clean as yours. I'm thinking after a quick freshen-up that thing will pull like Babe the Blue Ox.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I'm sure anxious to see. Even in stock form it's going to be light-years ahead of that old 305. The only broken bolt is on one of the manifold outlets. I'm going to take it to work and weld a nut to it, apply some heat and get it out. It's not worth the trouble and cost for headers right now in my opinion.

I think I'm going to leave everything as stock looking as possible. The only thing I will change is the intake and I might ground off the Edlebrock casting and paint the intake too :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor