Picked up another Pontiac 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
I have a friend that can weld anything man ever created, he brazes cast iron and I've never seen it fail.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
See, I'm not just an old guy rambling on. :mrgreen:
I've owned something north of 140 vehicles, a dozen boats, about the same number of motorcycles, I've built more Pontiac engines than any other, by a wide margin. Done a bunch of LT1 swaps, a couple of LS swaps and just finished converting one of my several garden tractors from manual to hydrostatic. I may not know much about anything, but I know a little about a lotta stuff! :lol:

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Randy_W said:
I may not know much about anything, but I know a little about a lotta stuff! :lol:

That's one of my favorite sayings!

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I guess I stand corrected! We don't repair cast because it's more cost effective to replace I suppose. As for the manifolds, I'm leaning towards the RA manifolds anyway.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
G-Body_Vet said:
I guess I stand corrected! We don't repair cast because it's more cost effective to replace I suppose. As for the manifolds, I'm leaning towards the RA manifolds anyway.
You ain't alone in the world, a lot of very knowledgeable people don't know about brazing cast.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Randy_W said:
G-Body_Vet said:
You ain't alone in the world, a lot of very knowledgeable people don't know about brazing cast.

I read about welding cast and it said the whole cast had to be heated up and then welded with a stick, then covered so it would cool down slowly.....and it went on to say that the welded cast would be the weak link so it wasn't worth it in my eyes. But this brazing cast is interesting and i'll see if the welding guru on the race team knows about it.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm dating myself here, but I repaired a huge cast iron frying pan for the wife many moons ago with a "Solid-OX" set. The handle broke clean off and I brazed it back together, still holding up fine some 30 odd years later. What is even better is the nickel-silver rods they had. For the newbies, Solid-OX worked by burning a thick rod in a sealed tube and oxygen was generated and fed to a regulator then mixed with propane. Not very good for welding, but great for brazing. Laughable now, but that was the 70's.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the frying pan is still holding up that is a good thing, it means she probably never hit you with it.... :mrgreen:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How do you think it broke in the first place? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor