Pinion shim does not sit flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the bearing sits properly without the shims then the radius on the pinion is proper as it matched the radius on the race of the bearing

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
if the bearing sits properly without the shims then the radius on the pinion is proper as it matched the radius on the race of the bearing
but the radius of either shouldn't matter, with a shim it place, it would put the bearing far enough away from any radius on the pinion.

Bailey28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2017
What is the ID of the shim in your pic? Assuming that it is a pinion for the 7.5" setup.

Scoot71, I could go to 1.565" and be well away from the shoulder.

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
I don't have a way of getting the old shim off. As best I can measure the stock shim is .030" thick. I have several new shims which measure 1.455" ID.

The pinion shaft is 1.440" right at the point the shoulder starts.

I enlarged one of the new shims to 1.560" where it sits flat away from the shoulder.

PontiacGP, the shim in your pic looks narrower than the shims I have however my new shims fit absolutely perfect around the pinion shaft. Without the shims the bearing fits perfectly flat. No daylight what so ever.

It seems the shoulder is killing me. I've been looking at pics of pinion gears online and it seems that most of them are machined to 90* right at this area and don't have a pronounced shoulder. If I had the pinion gear put on a lathe and the shoulder taken down would it compromise the gear?
I don't think machining it would compromise it, the easiest thing to do is enlarge shim inner diameter

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
don't have a way of getting the old shim off. As best I can measure the stock shim is .030" thick. I have several new shims which measure 1.455" ID.
I’m assuming you don’t have a press and a bearing tool to get the old one off. Take it somewhere to get the old one pressed off and start from there. You will then have your shim you need to get a starting point and you can also compare the pinions. I just got done a couple hours ago doing this same thing, only on a 12 bolt for my buddies Chevelle. Do you know how much shim thickness you need to get your pinion depth set? The bearing should be against your shims and they should be against your pinion. I don’t think you want to have that gap.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
but the radius of either shouldn't matter, with a shim it place, it would put the bearing far enough away from any radius on the pinion.

it the way GM machined it...here another with the same radius. You have the wrong shims

7 1-2 vs 8 3-4 rearend-2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Why did you open the shim up to 1.56”? Just open it up until it lays flat on the pinion.

Bailey28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2017
The new gears don't have a pinion depth punched into them. The only thing written by hand on the gears in white paint is the number ".116" on both the ring an pinion.

I wanted to start as close to the original shim thickenss as possible then work from there. I also have a pinion shim kit for bearing preload instead of ruining multiple crush washers.

I have a small press and a bearing tool. Getting the carrier bearings off wasn't that bad. I punched the old pinion races out of the housing. Everything looks worn to some degree however the rear end was absolutely silent at all times. No clunks, bangs, shimmies, whines, etc.

There is one single spacer on each side of the carrier bearings for preload. Each one has two yellow stripes on it. One is .243" and the other is .260". The carrier fell out with no effort after unbolting the caps. Ring gear backlash before touching anything was .012".

My concern is that when mocking up the pinion gear is that the larger shims will walk up onto the shoulder as the assembly moves around before tightening. This could pinch the shim(s) between the shoulder and backside of the ring gear causing a false reading.

This is why I thought the shims should nest perfectly flat against the base of the gear with no play on the shaft.

Bailey28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2017
500/600, the shims needed opening to 1.560" to get them to sit flat. I'm beginning to think I need to look for some aftermarket gears....

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you use the original shim that will most likely work. I forget what the common shim is but an old friend of mine used the same thickness for what he said was 90% or the rear ends. Why are you going to spend money on aftermarket gear sets when all you need is a few shims that fit?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor