please help with new motor ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegrandprixsniper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2012
ok so today i was trying to fire up the motor for the first time been stressing hard for a couple hours NOW :evil: ok so every time i crank it its back firing no matter how i turn the distributor retard or advance it back fires and carb goes in flames the motor is a sbc 350 turned 383 the thing is it has domed pistons should be at 11 something with the compression the fire order i have now is 18436572 can any one please shine the light on me i am seriously going to set this ****ing motor on fire :evil: i know im probably missing some info

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Timing is likely 180 from where it should be or you could have too much tension holding the valves open slightly.

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
You're def 180 out, you need to reset the distributor. Pull out the distributor, take off the drivers side valve cover and turn the crank preferably by the balancer until you see the first set of rockers move. As you approach TDC on the balancer they should both be closed, look at the rockers closely and they should both be in the same position at TDC. Drop the distributor back in and the rotor should be pointing at the first cylinder. Bolt it down and rotate it a few degrees counter clockwise to get close to 10 BTDC.

Replace your cap and try to start the car.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I agree it sounds like the distributor is in 180 off.
I would start by verifying you are on the compression stroke for number 1 by just pulling the number 1 sparkplug out and put your finger over the hole and have someone slowly turn the engine over until the cylinder pressure pushes your finger away then rotate your engine until your balancer is set to your initial timing mark and see if your rotor is facing the cap terminal for number 1 if it is 180 off I would remove the distributor and at this time I would prime the engine again if you have been cranking all this time without it running and then reinstall the distributor correctly.
Also make sure your firing order is set up in a clockwise rotation(don't laugh I have seen it done backwards before)

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
I agree sounds like the distributor is 180* off. I usually pull the #1 spark plug and hold my finger in the hole and bump the engine over til I get compression. Then keep bumping til the balancer is near 12 BTDC, I then drop in the distributor pointed at #1 on the cap and they fire up every time on the first try.

thegrandprixsniper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2012
thanks allot you guys for the tips im going to go and try it all over again ill let you know how it gos. i swear i put the dist pointing at the number one cylinder at tdc i am just going to start all over again from the beginning seriously thanks allot you guys :D

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Don't forget the engine will be at tdc on the exhaust stroke as well. Easy to tell if you take off the valve cover, both valves will be depressed at tdc exhaust. On the firing stroke you should be able to rotate the pushrods.

Roger.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
another way to determine TDC on the compression stroke is to wad up some paper, like a corner of blue shop paper towel, jam it into the spark plug hole tightly, turn the motor by hand, and when that towel pops out, thats TDC on the compression stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor