Polyurethane bushings making noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Did you use the Energy Suspension lube or simular on them before installing the contol arms? They suggest coating the surfaces that contact metal to reduce the noises.
This^^^ We call that stuff devils snot.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
LOL... try doing a full polyurethane suspension upgrade on a vehicle driven in sub-zero temps. That's when you get the real squeaks.

Reactions: 1 user

The_Full

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2016
Poly bushings squeak because they bind in multi axis rotation applications like those found in G body suspensions. Rubber bushing deflection allows for the required multi axis rotation. Rubber bushings pretty much behave like a torsion spring except the spring rate is supper low. Poly acts similar to a metal bushing that only allows for a single axis of rotation.

Rubber
rubber-bushing-rotation_001.gif

vs polyurethane
polyurethene-bushing-rotation_001.gif
Thank you! That is good information. I didn't know that.

Everything has been regreased. The creaking sounds aren't as bad now, but I can still hear them every now and again. It really gives my Monte Hoop-D vibes. If it doesn't go away in a week, I'm putting rubber ones back in.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Thank you! That is good information. I didn't know that.

Everything has been regreased. The creaking sounds aren't as bad now, but I can still hear them every now and again. It really gives my Monte Hoop-D vibes. If it doesn't go away in a week, I'm putting rubber ones back in.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I was thinking you'd done poly up front, the rears on these suck like a Fox Mustang. They have to be able to twist because they fight each other. Could do heims and/or a poor man's 3 link.

The front upper and lower A arms fight each other too as they are not perfectly parallel with each other in order to get front wheel alignment. Through its probably not as bad as the 4 link rear. These cars were not designed to be sports cars.

The_Full

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2016
I was thinking you'd done poly up front, the rears on these suck like a Fox Mustang. They have to be able to twist because they fight each other. Could do heims and/or a poor man's 3 link.
I did do poly on the front. Upper and Lower

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I did do poly on the front. Upper and Lower

Is that what this post is about? Mine has poly up front and a combination of not stock stuff out back and doesn't squeak. My dad slammed the front with grease, that's why I mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor