posi rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
well i been fooled to believe i have a posi track rear end. :blam: so i need to know where online can i buy one? or where are good places to go to get one

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
what do you have the 7.5 in there?

best bet is try to find a monte SS posi rear it has 3.73 gears in it.

if not I would say save your money and look for a 8.5 or find a 9 inch for the car.

a posi unit will run you $350 or so plus time and money.

you could get a used posi unit but it might be shot

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
GhettoRacingKid said:
what do you have the 7.5 in there?

best bet is try to find a monte SS posi rear it has 3.73 gears in it.

if not I would say save your money and look for a 8.5 or find a 9 inch for the car.

a posi unit will run you $350 or so plus time and money.

you could get a used posi unit but it might be shot
thats wat im searching online for. idk what i have in there. and i have a 3 gear automatic without over drive. idk if that helped

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
you can look at the housing of the rear. the pumpkin has tabs at the bottom.

the 7.5 has what look like fangs. and 8.5 is squared off.

you have a 7.5 unless it was changed. the 8.5 came in the 442's and the Grand Nationals.

I would look on craigslist. monte SS rears are easy to come by. its easier to change a whole rear then the unit IMO.

are you looking for more performance? you will totally get it from the 3.73 gears.

you can check if its posi by jacking up the rear. if they spin the same way when you spin a tire by hand you have a posi. if it goes the opposite way its a 1 wheel wonder.

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
GhettoRacingKid said:
you can look at the housing of the rear. the pumpkin has tabs at the bottom.

the 7.5 has what look like fangs. and 8.5 is squared off.

you have a 7.5 unless it was changed. the 8.5 came in the 442's and the Grand Nationals.

I would look on craigslist. monte SS rears are easy to come by. its easier to change a whole rear then the unit IMO.

are you looking for more performance? you will totally get it from the 3.73 gears.

you can check if its posi by jacking up the rear. if they spin the same way when you spin a tire by hand you have a posi. if it goes the opposite way its a 1 wheel wonder.
im uploading pics to photobucket now give me a sec

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
you've got yourself a 7.5 right there

You're most likely running 2.29's or 2.41's

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
SonOfRDgear said:
you've got yourself a 7.5 right there

You're most likely running 2.29's or 2.41's
thats real bad isnt it

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If your just driving this car with then theres nothing wrong with a 7.5. Dont spend the outrageous money people are asking for an 8.5 if your just going to drive it on the street and never launch it off slicks and a loose converter at the track. No need for it until you step into the drag racing world.

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
If your just driving this car with then theres nothing wrong with a 7.5. Dont spend the outrageous money people are asking for an 8.5 if your just going to drive it on the street and never launch it off slicks and a loose converter at the track. No need for it until you step into the drag racing world.
i wasnt trying to get all the heavy duty parts... i just want a "street beast". something i can cruise in daily but be able to race with drag car performance(if that makes sense)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor