Possibly moving to North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
When I moved to SC in the 1990's they had a LOT of really stupid laws, like a $3 inspection fee for cars. No shop would inspect you car for $3 so they expected you to slip them a $20. I was naive and went to 5 shops to get my car inspected and none would do it.
I never had a problem in SC getting all my sh*t inspected for 3 bucks and I'm a "real" Yankee. I never slipped anyone anything for inspections.

Sure, it was a PITA to go through someone checking your lights, blinkers, brakes and wipers (all of about 10 minutes inspection, if that), but there you go. Like having to sit through DMV crap for a registration or title change. All that prep and waiting time wasted for something that actually took just a few minutes to do. I still have the 1995 SC inspection sticker in the corner of the 85's windshield come to think of it. Maybe the shops didn't like Texans or something. :)

The businesses were rising up and complaining about doing it for peanuts is what finally brought a stop to it. Facility got 2.50 and the state got .50 for each car. Low fail rates weren't supporting continuations and efforts to jack up the inspection price failed, thus, so goes the inspection program. TBH, it was clogging up a lot of facilities with BS inspections. Why they didn't open up state-run inspection stations is anyone's guess. Then the state could have pocketed the entire $3.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I never had a problem in SC getting all my sh*t inspected for 3 bucks and I'm a "real" Yankee. I never slipped anyone anything for inspections.

Sure, it was a PITA to go through someone checking your lights, blinkers, brakes and wipers (all of about 10 minutes inspection, if that), but there you go. Like having to sit through DMV crap for a registration or title change. All that prep and waiting time wasted for something that actually took just a few minutes to do. I still have the 1995 SC inspection sticker in the corner of the 85's windshield come to think of it. Maybe the shops didn't like Texans or something. :)

The businesses were rising up and complaining about doing it for peanuts is what finally brought a stop to it. Facility got 2.50 and the state got .50 for each car. Low fail rates weren't supporting continuations and efforts to jack up the inspection price failed, thus, so goes the inspection program. TBH, it was clogging up a lot of facilities with BS inspections. Why they didn't open up state-run inspection stations is anyone's guess. Then the state could have pocketed the entire $3.

NY inspections are $36 for a newer vehicle. I think 25 years and older is a $7 safety inspection. Trailers have a safety too.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I'm all for free and legal travel/migration as long as you leave the things you're running from where they are and don't bring them with you and make me have to deal with them, too.
That seems to be an issue with most New Yorkers. Especially the ones that are from NYC and the areas surrounding it. Ive seen it happen in the little podunk town Ive lived in my whole life. They move out east to get away from the congestion, crime, traffic. In reality they bring it with them. They want the new shopping centers and malls. Theyre too lazy to drive the extra 15 minutes to the existing places. They complain about EVERYTHING thats the norm in my area. The things Ive grown up with. Gunshots early in the morning during duck season. Why does the neighbor have chickens ? Why arent there sidewalks on every street ? A single man had an issue with a small airstrip thats been in use as long as I can remember. The planes taking off on the weekend made too much noise. He complained to the township and county. He found some crazy law that was overlooked for all these years. Threatened the town with a lawsuit. Airport had to close.
Im on a few FB groups for the Carolinas. My biggest piece of advice for folks living down there is NEVER EVER let a northerner get into a political position. If you do youre screwed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
NY inspections are $36 for a newer vehicle. I think 25 years and older is a $7 safety inspection. Trailers have a safety too.

Texas has trailer inspections, too. In Theory.

Based on the Response from the inspectors, my Trailer, in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex of 7 Million people is the ONLY trailer with an inspection sticker. 4 different inspections over 4 different years, mine was the only trailer the inspection stations had inspected. I got the hint and stopped inspecting mine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

I had 13 cars. After the 5th shop we registered them all in South Dakota. SD, SC, close enough.

SD was $25/year sight unseen with a PO box for a residency requirement.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Wheelspinner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2020
Well it’s official. had a couple Interviews last week followed by some offer letters.
I will say it though when you make something in place and notice the pay scale is so different in a another.
I start Jan 4th at Ryder in Charlotte. Now if only had a place to live...:unsure:
welcome from a NY transplant! My sister is a realtor in Winston Salem-Greensboro so probably can't help you down that way, but good luck with finding a place.

Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
welcome from a NY transplant! My sister is a realtor in Winston Salem-Greensboro so probably can't help you down that way, but good luck with finding a place.
We found a few new constructions but they are a couple months out before they are done. Having trouble finding a short term rental for the time being. I’m honestly just tired of giving someone else my down money on rentals.
I’m trying to talk the wife into getting an older house that needs some work but shes fixed on getting a new house. keeps yelling at me saying something like I never finish my projects. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t know what she’s talking about.

Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Finally got to drive the car up here. So far loving it here. Should be closing on the new house mid Feb. She really liked the cold air but misses the e85. New plans coming soon for it.
now you guys get to see the destroyed SS spoiler.

5ED97E34-01A2-4FD5-A6AE-DA6A56121BEE.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Well boy last Wednesday we closed on the house. What an emotional roller coaster it was.
My wife’s and I goal was to be homeowners by 30. This November I turn 30 and my will be 29 in December. This feels like a tremendous accomplishment that I don’t think could’ve been done in South Florida. I should be bringing in the cutlass within the next couple weeks after I finish moving all the stuff from the storage and clear up the garage.
6AB012D8-2349-475C-8999-6F206FE1A32D.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Im just down the road in Shelby...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor