Primer and clear coat, how long can it last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Well, i managed to find krylon sandable primer ONSALEEEE at walmart, so i grabbed the entire shelf hahaha. The car is all primed now, and i'm happy i picked dark grey, as i now know not to paint it that color, doesn't look good :lol:

Also found some rustoleum "painters touch" flat black on sale, well see if the car will look like dog sh*t and i have to sand the whole thing again, or if it'll come off looking decent. I'll post some pics when it's done!

redster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Well, finally finished. Heres the rat rod:

img243h.jpg

img244e.jpg

img245fw.jpg

img247u.jpg

Few things i'd like to add, holy crap is there a lot of sanding involved before you paint :p Even with a palm sander, it took me a a while to sand everything down. Same with taping, but i'm happy i took the time and masked everything before painting. Also, i wish they made 3M double sided tape in black (or at the very least, sold it, all i could manage to find was grey, and it's showing through the oldsmobile badge).

Shes no showpiece but i wasn;t expecting it to be either, i'm happy how it came out. Gives it character :lol:

Anyways, total cost for this was decent, 150$, including body filler, primer, paint, tape, palm sander and sand paper.

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
redster said:
Also, i wish they made 3M double sided tape in black (or at the very least, sold it, all i could manage to find was grey, and it's showing through the oldsmobile badge).
I always use a razor blade to trim the double sided tape around the letters of emblems before installing back on car. Yes it is a PITA but it looks better then seeing the tape.
Your car looks good for only having $150 tied up in the paint job.

Chris

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If you care at all about your car, stop driving it in the winter! I have some good sized holes to fix, thanks to driving one winter. That repair will last if it is garaged every winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor