Orifice Tube problem

Cool, glad it was just that simple...usually things are. The thing about it is having the tube in backwards will still actually work, but be much less efficient and definitely not blow as cold.

I actually rebuilt my entire AC system couple of years ago, replaced pretty much everything except the Evaporator which I simply reverse flushed. They rarely fail, or leak from that era in my experience so I didn't feel the need to replace it. The parallel flow condenser is a must imho with new compressor and r134a conversion. Also gotta get good airflow across the radiator and condenser or system will not perform well either.

Mine get's almost down to freezing (see vid) at the outlet vents temperature, and my HI side pressures barely ever go over 200psi. Having the Holley EFI, I actually input the AC Hi Press sensor in, and use it along with Coolant Temp to PWM control the brushless SPAL fans. Gonna be doing another similar full rebuild on my buddy's 86 Monte SS soon, just waiting on all the parts to come in.

View attachment 242442

In addition to the behind the radiator, shrouded dual brushless fans controlled with PWM by Holley EFI...I also have a PUSHER fan mounted on the front of the condenser that operates separately based on TRINARY switch. When I first turn in the AC, the PUSHER fan will come on immediately at half speed, then if the hi side pressure goes up over 254psi (which it usually does on initial turn on) it then bypasses the resistor and goes to full speed.

View attachment 242444

90% of the time, once the PWM fans come online, and the Hi pressure drops under about 200psi, that pusher fan pretty much just stays at half speed thereafter. The video about was from one of the most recent super hot low 90 degree days we've had in the northeast.

View attachment 242443
Me too. After 4 attempts to get this system going the 5th should be the charm. It got hot here back in early June (Chicago area) but has eased off into the 80's since. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
Me too. After 4 attempts to get this system going the 5th should be the charm. It got hot here back in early June (Chicago area) but has eased off into the 80's since. Thanks again.
Sounds great, feel free to hmu if you have any questions as you go through it I'd be happy to help. 👍

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor