Problems with GP dash in el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
I put an 85 Bonneville dash in my 1985 el camino... now the job's done and the car sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders. I suspect the ECM but don't have a clue what to do. I kept the El Camino ECM and pluged the GP dash harness into two connectors next to the ECM (one was about 5 pins and the other about 8). Start the car up and it's is like a thrashing machine running on about 3 cyclinders...any ideas what I did or didn't do? Phone is 727-452-4814 if you care to call me. Thanks Al

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Al,
The only thing I can suggest is, try to locate wiring schematics or diagrams for an '85 (or later) El Camino and a later Grand Prix. Perhaps between the two diagrams, you'll be able to cross reference, and figure out what went awry.
When I installed the GP dash into my car, I had no ECM to deal with, so it was fairly cut and dry. I reused my Malibu wiring harness, just had to re-pin the plugs and extend a wire or two...and add a ground wire or two as well.
I believe the Haynes manual for Chevelle/ Malibu V-6 /V-8 also covers El Camino, and has a a few wiring diagrams in it.

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
Al,
The only thing I can suggest is, try to locate wiring schematics or diagrams for an '85 (or later) El Camino and a later Grand Prix. Perhaps between the two diagrams, you'll be able to cross reference, and figure out what went awry.
When I installed the GP dash into my car, I had no ECM to deal with, so it was fairly cut and dry. I reused my Malibu wiring harness, just had to re-pin the plugs and extend a wire or two...and add a ground wire or two as well.
I believe the Haynes manual for Chevelle/ Malibu V-6 /V-8 also covers El Camino, and has a a few wiring diagrams in it.
Al,
I called my mechanic and having the car hauled to his shop tomorrow. When it comes to wiring, ECM's and such, I am at a total loss. Everyone I spoke with prior to the dash swap assured me it was a bolt in.... everyone failed to mention that they didn't use the ECM.... that's what I get for not knowing the right questions to ask! On a lighter note I have changed, not only the GP dash, but the interior is now all red except for the seats, steering and door panels. Really pops in that silver El Camino. The 2002 cadillac seats I bought are too big. Have to exchange them for some that will fit the narrow floor pan. When I figure out how I will include some pictures. Thanks for the input... I pray the mechanic can fix it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Did you do the actual dash install? Most people that I've encountered, including myself, weren't bothered with connecting an ECM. I could see that you've probably kept your car on the original side, which explains why you're still using an ECM.
I hope your mechanic can figure it out..good luck! I'm sure it's nothing major.

Your El Camino sounds like a nice car. I like the color combination that you've described.

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
well guy's here's what the mechanic found.... apparently the pontiac had a v8 and thus the wiring harness is sending information to the computer thinking it's a v8... my v6 computer does not compute... ended up replacing intake, carb, and distributor plus $500 in labor. When I went back to the guy who had done this (and set me off on this trail) he said "oh I didn't have a computer as I used an earlier wiring harness"...everything is in now and works but I am so disgusted that I intend to sell the car. The money I had to spend with the mechanic was intended to finish coloring my interior. So I have a red interior with a blue seat, blue door panels and steering column/wheel. I've been in the hospital since June 18th so haven't even seen the car. I did see all the bracketry and it looked factory (which it is just from different cars). If you plan to do the GP dash swap I strongly urge you to eliminate the ECM. It's possible that if your car is v8 powered from the factory that it might work ok. You'll know when you start it and it runs like a thrashing machine....Oh I forgot one important item.... the fuel pump. The injected pump puts out about 40 pounds of pressure, way too much for a carb. We had to go to an external "Carter" electric fuel pump

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
You sir, were just taken for a ride.
So where were you when I was asking for help? Easy to "Johnny come lately" and criticize after the fact. No one want's smart *ss answers after the fact! I suspect some rewiring would have fixed the problem but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that> I am "old school" pre computer guy. I don't want to get into a "pissing contest" here so I'll let it go at that....

Last edited:

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
Just completed replacing dash lights with 168 LED's (they come in white and blue). Now I can see all my guages first time since I bought the car. Diming doesn't work but then they are fine without it. I also ordered (back ordered) complete LED tail light assemblies from Ground Up. I tried LED 1157 bulbs and they just don't give much improvement. I found a set of 4 non idiot light (mechanical guages) on Ebay and bought them. I was told they were a direct replacement by the seller, then someone else say's they are not! Does anyone know if they are a direct replacement for the idiot lights. I guess I'll find out when I get them. Found one 1.5 din radio online for $359 dollars but it has a negative review on mounting hardware. Nice radio with all the goodies (blue tooth, usb port, AM/FM etc). FYI I see that a lot of GM trucks have what appear to be 1.5 din radio's....anybody ever use one of them in a Gbody? I want blue tooth so I didn't buy one but they have everything else...

Last edited:

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
guage1.jpg
guageset.jpg
guageset.jpg
guage1.jpg
Anybody ever switch out the idiot light (3 gauges plus the fuel gauge) with the factory rally pack gauge set? I'll try to include a picture... is this compatible. I bought it but I don't get it till next friday...

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would have to imagine at the very least you would need the senders for water and oil for a car that came with those.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor