Progress on the '78 (56k obliteration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
The brakes were bled, and I'm kind of on the fence about bending my own lines again... leaks in several places, a few I guess were from the lines not being tight enough.

I have one of the headers on, and I got the dash installed and about 80% wired. The engine is mostly wired too.
IMAG0661.jpg

IMAG0662.jpg

I also scored a set of GP gauges and I also needed the plugs for the cluster today... $10 :D
256521_4472588216054_393141645_o.jpg

... aaaaaaaaand wired/installed.
IMAG0673.jpg

IMAG0680.jpg

IMAG0683.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to have wiring on the engine done, column in, and the gas tank installed. After that I can put the front clip on and maybe even start it :D

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
great progress, I've always had a sweet spot for the GP dash, looks great, keep up the good work!

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Thanks :D I finished up the wiring earlier tonight, and picked up a set of plugs & exhaust gaskets. I don't know I'll have it done tonight, but I PLAN to get the other header in, plugs in, wires on, and possibly get started on the rest of the exhaust & put the driveshaft in.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
A couple more pics... the little breather-looking thing is connected to the vent tube of the sending unit.
IMAG0686.jpg

Everything hooked up but plugs/wires and exhaust, also needs oil filter & oil change.
IMAG0690.jpg

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
Doober said:
A couple more pics... the little breather-looking thing is connected to the vent tube of the sending unit.
IMAG0686.jpg

Everything hooked up but plugs/wires and exhaust, also needs oil filter & oil change.
IMAG0690.jpg
i like that breather right there...

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Yesterday I got the rest of the front suspension installed (besides the shocks) :)
526364_4488698578803_804280278_n.jpg

I also started it with a little more initial timing, much more snappy than it was \:D/ None of the gauges worked to start with outside the tach, turns out the harness plug wasn't completely seated. Then I found out I had a few wires switched, and after that I discovered the oil pressure gauge isn't registering... as in when the car is running it doesn't come off 0. The gauge has power and goes to 0, and when I disconnect the wire it pegs at its max, but there's nothing in between. The pressure sender seems to be working, I'm just not sure if it's the right range for the gauge... seems to be though according to the reading I got and the specs here:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=933381

I just have the rear sway bar to put on, driveshaft in, torque all the suspension nuts down, front clip + lights/battery/grounds, bumper, hood and I think that's it for the exterior. Interior-wise I have to finish a couple minor wiring things (reverse lights on the trans, make sure all the dash lights work, figure out why door switches aren't turning interior lights on, etc.), get some sort of boot setup for the shifter, carpet, seats, and trim pieces. After that this puppy will be ready to take in for alignment :D

I can get the driveshaft and rear bar done today for sure. Gonna take another stab at the oil pressure gauge and if that pans out I can cross that off the list.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Here're a few... gotta run the wheels up front until I either get some different wheels or different spindles. The 17x9.5" wheels won't fit the front with more than about 4.875" backspacing on 2" drop spindles. Stock spindles are required, or the tie rod end needs to be moved farther inward... which would cause further bumpsteer issues.
DSC01936.jpg

DSC01938.jpg

DSC01937.jpg

DSC01939.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor