Project 85 Black 442 frame off restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am so glad to be at this point of painting this trunk floor and some other things so I can go onto other things. THis sand blasting is a huge PIA, and I am glad I am done with it.......for a couple weeks. I went to remove the existing trunk pan and removed the passenger rear trunk body mount to find the bolt snapped, and yes you guessed it....that body mount is shot too. Definately re-affirms us making the trunk floors.

IMAG3015.jpg

IMAG3016.jpg

So I went back to my scrap pile of sheetmetal and found a usable trunk floor body mount brace that I will remove from the wheel well and remove the rust, sand blast :puke: and make it functional. So minor set back, but oh well, it happens.

After all this I just decided to take a small break from the floor and apply more epoxy prime to some parts that I have stripped and get them into the top coat Chassis Saver satin black

IMAG3010.jpg

IMAG3011.jpg

IMAG3012.jpg

IMAG3013.jpg

IMAG3014.jpg

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Got to tear into the old trunk pan last night and got it removed

IMAG3057.jpg

IMAG3059.jpg

IMAG3060.jpg

IMAG3061.jpg

IMAG3063.jpg

tonight I got to removing the wheel tub to get to the other set of body mounts

IMAG3070.jpg

I bet I removed 5 lbs of seam sealer, it is rediculous how much they used

IMAG3069.jpg

THis is my front body mount bolt

IMAG3072.jpg

IMAG3076.jpg

IMAG3074.jpg

THis is the next area to concentrate on in the wheel house upper trunk area

IMAG3075.jpg

At least the new trunk pan fits snugl in the trunk area

IMAG3077.jpg
:eek:

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Looking good. Good corrosion control on the replacement parts. Are you grinding off the paint were you plug weld?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Burnhard said:
Looking good. Good corrosion control on the replacement parts. Are you grinding off the paint were you plug weld?

hmmm. Thought about it and what would happen on bare metal, if rust would occur even though seam sealed.....which is definately apparent now. WHat happens if you leave the paint on?

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
It makes the weld weaker as it contaminates the weld, how much I do not know/remember? We sometimes used to use a weld through primer.We cleaned/removed the paint/primer in the area we were spot welding/welding.I was taught to only weld on clean metal free of paint/primer/rust.I liked to prep the area with 80 grit on a pneumatic angle die grinder or my Da . We primed and painted the weld after we were done. I have been out of the trade for quite a while and best practice can change or be altered. Welding on top/through/around paint and primer you get nasty fumes. I realy like the way you are preping your new parts. I can't see how the paint/primer can protect the metal as you weld through it you burn off all the protective/corrosion protection.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Burnhard said:
It makes the weld weaker as it contaminates the weld, how much I do not know/remember? We sometimes used to use a weld through primer.We cleaned/removed the paint/primer in the area we were spot welding/welding.I was taught to only weld on clean metal free of paint/primer/rust.I liked to prep the area with 80 grit on a pneumatic angle die grinder or my Da . We primed and painted the weld after we were done. I have been out of the trade for quite a while and best practice can change or be altered. Welding on top/through/around paint and primer you get nasty fumes. I realy like the way you are preping your new parts. I can't see how the paint/primer can protect the metal as you weld through it you burn off all the protective/corrosion protection.

Good points. I will make sure to prep those areas and clean them up, re-epoxy them and then put the chassis saver back over the welds. I do take the time if I rip this thing completely apart to prep that metal accordingly. It doesnt cost much, but a little time. May as well do it correct.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Worked on getting all the trunk pieces stripped down to bare metal, mounts fixed, seams sealed on the wheel tub and top coated

IMAG3086.jpg

IMAG3087.jpg

Time to repair the body mount

IMAG3088.jpg

IMAG3089.jpg

Stripped the undercoating with stripper, not sand this time :)

IMAG3090.jpg

IMAG3091.jpg

Started welding, grinding, etc

IMAG3092.jpg

IMAG3093.jpg

IMAG3094.jpg

This piece was all bent up

IMAG3098.jpg

IMAG3099.jpg

IMAG3103.jpg

Time for epoxy

IMAG3105.jpg

Seam sealer

IMAG3106.jpg

Satin black top coat. Next to strip all the tail light panels, wheel houses so I do not ruing my rust prevention

IMAG3107.jpg

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
was able to strip down part of the tail light panel this evening. Will be stripping down the entire trunk area so I dont have to worry about having the paint stripper splash onto the panels that I have finished already.

IMAG3108.jpg

IMAG3109.jpg

IMAG3110.jpg

IMAG3111.jpg

IMAG3112.jpg

IMAG3113.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor