Project 85 Black 442 frame off restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Carlola said:
Stop working so fast, makin me feel so unproductive lol. Looks great!

Thanks man, this was not intentional to get all this done that evening. It was rush rush rush....!

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
how well was it recieved at the show?

btw, that thing is lookin awesome! hard to believe that's the same car that was cut up on a rotisserie just late last year.

78 rocket

n00b
Jun 4, 2013
Looks nice and a lot of body work not sure what you are intending to achieve with the end result of this car or if you are trying to do a factory restoration but unfortunately the stripes are wrong:
http://mtupper.oldsgmail.com/stripeinfo.htm
Also by the looks of it the fender stripe may not line up with the bumper cover stripe since those sit in the middle and you can also see gray above the lower stripe like its sloping down on the RH fender.
Hate to see it come this far and need to be redone.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
78 rocket said:
Looks nice and a lot of body work not sure what you are intending to achieve with the end result of this car or if you are trying to do a factory restoration but unfortunately the stripes are wrong:
http://mtupper.oldsgmail.com/stripeinfo.htm
Also by the looks of it the fender stripe may not line up with the bumper cover stripe since those sit in the middle and you can also see gray above the lower stripe like its sloping down on the RH fender.
Hate to see it come this far and need to be redone.

Thanks for that link as it is not right what we intended to do. THere are other parts to the car that are going to need attention and will probably get re-painted and a new stripe will be applied. What is different about the stripes is these are pin stripes not a sticker, wonder which ones are correct?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
tobyp said:
Thanks for that link as it is not right what we intended to do. THere are other parts to the car that are going to need attention and will probably get re-painted and a new stripe will be applied. What is different about the stripes is these are pin stripes not a sticker, wonder which ones are correct?
The "stickers" are correct as they already have the upper body color silkscreened, or whatever process was used to make the stripe, over a gold substrate. The pinstripes you're using look ok if they're ALL the same color and you don't try and mix and match GM stripes with the aftermarket kits, but tend to be a shade off of the original (compare them to the gold pinstripe on the wheels if they're original). It seems the hardest part is to get them straight and aligned properly due to how thin they are. The GM stripes are a tad easier to install because they do come as one wider stripe. With the aftermarket pinstripe kits, you have to be very straight with the lower body color paint break line, and give it that extra black underneath the bottom stripe to look more like factory.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
You guys are nitpicking over a pin stripe? God... The car is gorgeous and better than brand new! Cut him some slack! I bet there are some cars from GM that were 'wrong' and thus more desirable. Like a double minted dime or something.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hey Gt. Thanks for having my back!. But I think what they are referring to is a concourse restoration which is more what I am gearing towards. Does the car look nice?? Yes. But if I were to be judged in that atmosphere I would lose out. So as I continue to build the car with as much care as I have put into everything else, the car deserves the same treatment for the paint and appearance. Again..thanks.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GT_80 said:
You guys are nitpicking over a pin stripe? God... The car is gorgeous and better than brand new! Cut him some slack! I bet there are some cars from GM that were 'wrong' and thus more desirable. Like a double minted dime or something.
No. There's no "guys" nitpicking. One person mentioned how the stripes seemed to not line up. And I was simply answering a question of which type of stripe was correct. Of course the car is gorgeous. But if you're going frame off, you should do it up as right as possible. You go big or go home. I was under the impression that NOS decals were going to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor