Project Daily Driver 86 Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
As many of you may know, I am in the process of redoing Project GNX-ss into a road race car. My daily driven 86 Regal Limited has taken a back burner due to that process. Being tired of driving a ratty looking car, Ive decided to fix her up a bit, basically making her into a reliable decent looking mode of transportation. So I will be doing a sort of mini-build thread here for basic mechanical restoration, basic body repair, and cheap inexpensive mods. Since the majority of my funding is going to the big project, this will be a low low buck build up/ resto. Enjoy. Ill post prices up of everything I obtain for this car and instructions on doing certain aspects of the work as well.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Total Cost of Wheels and 2 used tires for the front: $380

Just a couple of pics of the Xtreme S10 wheel fitment. Harder than it sounds. You must grind the centers
of these wheels out a few hundredths of an inch and grind the rust off the axle ends and the brake rotors where the
wheel slips over. Other than that, the fit is good. 16x8 4.5" backspacing, tire size is 235/60/16 by the way. Waiting on new front tires before putting the front wheels on. Also installed the stock rear sway bar I had for this thing since I bought it. Rear end is squirrelly now since the shocks are busted in the rear. So, I guess my daily driver is getting fixed up a bit gradually.

Image194.jpg

Image195.jpg

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Next up is brake replacement, shock replacement, dual exhaust, and some good used bumper fillers from the u-pick, front end alignment, tune-up and some other little odds and ends. Come spring time, the body will be restored a bit, as far as the minor rust spots and finishing the previous owner's vinyl top removal. Then, maybe a charcoal gray paint job. Trying to keep all this under $1000 total.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Working on that Blake, nothing a little sanding and a little bondo wont take care of.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Finally got my new tires installed for the front of Project Daily Driver and took some pics early this morning.
These are 1999 Chevy S10 Xtreme Wheels 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing with 235/60/16 tires. The centers of these wheels
need to be clearanced(ground away) a little to fit. Other than that they work great and look better
than stock steelies. Added bonus, no more front end wobble and pulling to the right due to the bad tires being removed.
Sorry for the poor quality, it was a little cold this morning and the lens fogged up a bit.

Image205.jpg

Image206.jpg

Image207.jpg

Image208.jpg

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Here's a pic of my ghetto fabulous steering wheel center cover that I made out of a blank cd painted with black wrinkle finish rustoleum and some machine screws. I did this because some redneck before me welded this wheel to a piece of the old wheel instead of buying the kit and I got tired of looking at the poor welding job. Im looking for a little
2" wheel decal that I can put in the center. Im going to remove the wheel and polish the spokes upa bit and
maybe dye the wheel black or grey or just wrap it. Also notice the equally fabulous skull shifter knob.

Image210.jpg

Image211.jpg

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Re: Project Daily Driver 86 Regal **Update NEW PICS**

Grand total of all parts used so far and cost of car:

Car----$800 (Bought this time last year)
Xtreme S10 Wheels----$250 (with two good tires)
2-235/60/16 used tires----$80 (shipped)
1-blank cd----negligible
Squirt of rustoleum----negligible
3-machine screws with nuts----found in bottom of tool box
Skull shifter knob----$10

Total cost so far (as of 12/29/09)-----$1140 dollars or $340 minus the cost of the car

Camshaft

Master Mechanic
May 27, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio

My girlfriend has designed these cat popsicle stickers, if I send you a sheet will you put one in the center of the wheel? :D

http://www.etsy.com/shop/catpop?ga_sear ... =&includes

It looks good so far. The wheels are gross to me now but they are growing on me. Cool idea with the CD.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY

Just a quick little update on some things that have been done to the daily driver project recently.

Took and had dual 2.25" exhaust with turbo mufflers with exhaust exiting behind the rear wheels run on the car. Grand Total was $235 for fully welded, guaranteed exhaust system

Removed AIR Injection system since it was leaking badly and installed set screws in the cylinder head where the tubes went. Grand Total $8 for 8 set screws and about an hour and a half of personal labor.

End result no more leaky *ss exhaust and a good mellow exhaust note. Im happy with it.

Grand total of all parts used so far and cost of car:

Car----$800 (Bought this time last year)
Xtreme S10 Wheels----$250 (with two good tires)
2-235/60/16 used tires----$80 (shipped)
1-blank cd----negligible
Squirt of rustoleum----negligible
3-machine screws with nuts----found in bottom of tool box
Skull shifter knob----$10
Dual Exhaust---$235
Set screws for AIR removal---$8

Total cost so far (as of 12/29/09)-----$1383 dollars or $583 minus the cost of the car

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor