BUILD THREAD Project I better learn what I'm doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I like how you have it sitting now, but I like the old school look with having the back up a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
So once again it's been awhile since I've posted and haven't done anything with the cars. I'm looking for some opinions / advice. I seem to have lost interest in working on the car. I really haven't even thought about going in the garage to work on it in a couple months. I still drive the 88 once or twice a week to work and back and that's about it. I really don't want to sell anything cause I know I'll regret it, but at the same time I have no motivation to keep going at the moment. I think one of the reasons is because I know what I want to do with the car but am pretty sure I won't have the money. Any advice on how you stay motivated? Any other advice? Thanks much

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Sometimes it might be better to take time away from the car projects. Do some other things, different hobbies not car related, and then come back to the cars.
Keeping them is the right move because even though you might not have the enthusiasm to go ahead with fixing them, who knows what might spark your interest again.

I had a similar issue many years ago. I was going to college all day, working nights. My weekends usually went towards the cars, but now it was homework on weekends which took research in the library pre internet days. I had time off in the Summer when school was out, but I just did not feel like turning wrenches. I was worn out from work and school and my car obsession was about gone. I really think I was depressed at times because I was not messing with the cars and working on them was my therapy. I honestly hated my life at that point. But it was what I had to do at that time. All my hobbies took a backseat.

What got my interest back was a few of my friends had bought some new cars. One bought an 84 SS, another an 85 X11 Citation. In our group one couple finished their 69 GTO that took them a few years to get into pristine shape. It looked great and all this new blood got me going and I felt I was missing out on what was changing in the auto world. Both with my friends and the industry. So I eventually bought my SS, fixed up my Apollo and Nova before I sold them, and used that money to help buy my 89 LX 5.0 and have never looked back. Yes I have had some slow times, my budget being stretched to the limit, and end up where I am just driving. But getting older and close to retirement this is ok for me right now. I have big plans as far as cars go when I retire and God willing I hope to be wrenching until the end.

So do not worry about not getting in the garage as much as you would like. Life is a cycle with all the ups and downs and someday you will get that spark back when the time is right.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Montague

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2016
A lot of people have that happen. Take a break from hotrods for a bit then go back at it.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
It's been quite awhile but I started getting the itch to work on the car again. I decided to do something I thought would be somewhat simple and install an air fuel ratio gauge. Hopefully help get the motor tuned up and running great. Started working on welding the bungs in the exhaust today. What a pain to do that under the car. I'm already not a good welder then add in the fact of not being able to see or get my helmet in place so I could see didnt help. Any tips for welding under the car? I also had an issue twice last year when my car left me stranded and wouldn't start. It was really weird. Would start fine when I'd leave the house. Drive to the store, be in the store for 10 minutes, go to leave and wouldn't start. Literally wouldn't turn over or solenoid click. Absolutely nothing when turning the key. I'd wait an hour and it would start right up. Did some research recently and learned about starter heat soak which I'm sure is my issue. I looked today and the header (long tube) is touching the starter. Also found an oil leak I was unaware of. What can I do about the starter heat soak? Would a mini starter and a heat wrap around the starter help my issue? I'm glad to be back and hope to actually make some progress this year.

Attachments

• IMG_20180218_115529.jpg
    IMG_20180218_115529.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20180218_114922.jpg
    IMG_20180218_114922.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20180216_194945.jpg
    IMG_20180216_194945.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 171
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What can I do about the starter heat soak? Would a mini starter and a heat wrap around the starter help my issue? I'm glad to be back and hope to actually make some progress this year.
Yes, a mini starter and heat wrap will help since it will give more clearance and also have more torque but the best thing to try first is to install a remote solenoid for the starter, it's inexpensive and will usually resolve the hot start issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

307 Gutless

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2017
Utah
Yes, a mini starter and heat wrap will help since it will give more clearance and also have more torque but the best thing to try first is to install a remote solenoid for the starter, it's inexpensive and will usually resolve the hot start issue.

I was just about to go buy s heat shield because my headers were making my starter unhappy too. Ill have to give that a shot. I never considered a remote solenoid. Sounds like Ford witchcraft to me lol. Mine would go out on my f150 every 3-6 months and I'd start the thing with a screw driver under the hood. Thank goodness for AutoZone lifetime warranties.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was just about to go buy s heat shield because my headers were making my starter unhappy too. Ill have to give that a shot. I never considered a remote solenoid. Sounds like Ford witchcraft to me lol. Mine would go out on my f150 every 3-6 months and I'd start the thing with a screw driver under the hood. Thank goodness for AutoZone lifetime warranties.
The remote solenoid is the lest expensive part to try plus the power cable going to the starter is only hot when cranking where it is normally hot all of the time with the factory GM set up.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I got to work on the car again today. Finished installing my AEM wideband Air fuel ratio gauge. I'm hopefully going to be working on installing the remote starter solenoid soon also. I have a couple questions about this. Does it matter what solenoid I use? I found them online for anywhere from $10-$70. Also is the wiring of it straight forward? I've never replaced a starter so I don't know what wires are all running to it or what they are.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Started the remote solenoid install today. Ordered the Tuff Stuff 7629 kit from jegs. Had to unbolt the header from the engine and remove the steering shaft to move the header enough to get to the connections on the starter. Followed the wires back through the loom and about a mile and a half of electrical tape. Found one splice that went to some plugs that weren't plugged into anything so cut it out. Went to mount the solenoid and got stumped. There's already a line lock on the fender and if I put the solenoid next to it the hood hinge will hit it. The only other place I can think to install it would be on the fire wall where the throttle cable comes through. Any issue with this? Will the wiper arm hit it if the wipers are on?

Attachments

• IMG_20180315_170542.jpg
    IMG_20180315_170542.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20180315_170532.jpg
    IMG_20180315_170532.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20180315_164329.jpg
    IMG_20180315_164329.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 158
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor