PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for that info. Part #'s and pricing... much appreciated. My lens cleaned up very nicely, but more light transfer would be better. I will look into the frosted/clear lens right now. (y)
It may be like a box of chocolates though. Unless you can find someone that will open the box you'll get and verify it's semi-clear.

Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It was a busy weekend. I got most of my heavy stuff moved to the new work space. The car, (5) engines, (4) transmissions, (2) rear axles, welding table, chemical cabinet, baker's racks, wheels, etc. Still have my tools, workbench, and many totes left, but it was a great start.

These are the parts I got on Wednesday. Not the best deal ever, but a good deal, and met a great "car guy". More lightweight aluminum parts. A pair of aluminum drums from an 87 GN. They had been painted black, but look to be in pretty good shape. No grooves, or uneven wear. I will blast them. and paint with Alumablast paint.
1567384146293.png

I also got a aluminum "space saver" spare (N64) from a 87-89ish F Body. It's an inflatable style tire that originally came with an inflation canister. These are kinda rare - only came on cars with 16" wheels ( IROC / GTA ), and not all were aluminum ( kinda like our cars - no real rhyme or reason.) By 1990 or so, they came with rear discs, and these would not fit, so a redesigned steel space saver was used. Even though this spare has never been on the ground, I can't trust a 30+ year old tire. I will put a new 195 tire on this, and mount it in the trunk like original. I want to drive this car regularly, so a spare is needed. I just want a lightweight one. Plus, it's a another option code to add to my reproduction build sheet I'll have made up, just for fun. It needs a little clean up as well, no problem. Once cleaned up, it should look nice in the trunk. Both items were $100. I only have (1) more lightweight part on my "needs" list. An F Body hollow front sway bar.

1567384199400.png

I'll have pics of the work space soon, but I have to get everything sorted first.

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Interesting spare. Never knew that was a thing.

• Agree

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I have one of those in the trunk of my Grand Prix as a spare. Never actually thought to check if it fits with 4 wheel blazer discs. :unsure:

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I have one of those in the trunk of my Grand Prix as a spare. Never actually thought to check if it fits with 4 wheel blazer discs. :unsure:
I'd be grateful if you got a chance to check it out. It may save you a headache as well.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Those aluminum spares are sweet and would be awesome front runners but they are 14".

There was a set of 4 locally for like $50 a year ago I passed on.

They look super 60's drag car style.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I came close to scoring one of those space saver spares from an IROC Camaro several years ago, along with the can of OEM inflate. Unfortunately, a guy that was stripping the car for it's T-top parts beat me to it. Bummer! I've heard of them before, but never seen one up close. That's what I could use as a spare in the wagon.
Good score as usual. I had a few opportunities to score aluminum drums, but left them behind. I've seen them on a Malibu, several older Camaros, and a Grand Prix.

If I'm not mistaken, the alloy spare is a 16" rim. Is that the size on it, James?

Last edited:

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I came close to scoring one of those space saver spares from an IROC Camaro several years ago, along with the can of OEM inflate. Unfortunately, a guy that was stripping the car for it's T-top parts beat me to it. Bummer! I've heard of them before, but never seen one up close. That's what I could use as a spare in the wagon.
Good score as usual. I had a few opportunities to score aluminum drums, but left them behind. I've seen them on a Malibu, several older Camaros, and a Grand Prix.

If I'm not mistaken, the alloy spare is a 16" rim. Is that the size on it, James?
Jack, It's a 14x5" rim, and when the tire is inflated, I assume it's the same size as the 16" lower profile tire.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor