PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Been following this since the beginning and am a big fan of your taste and style that youre going with. Admittedly jealous of your part pick ups and for the prices you got then for. Look forward to continue watching and seeing the final product. If youre looking to go a different route with your door panels and don't want those CS grills/lowers anymore let me know!

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
James,
You're getting good at this parts finding and acquisition thing. ;)
You know about having the speedo re-calibrated don't you?
Just wait until my next post. Coming up in about an hour...
Yes, I do know @ the speedo calibration. I have an old friend that owns a speedometer shop. Done deal.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Been following this since the beginning and am a big fan of your taste and style that youre going with. Admittedly jealous of your part pick ups and for the prices you got then for. Look forward to continue watching and seeing the final product. If youre looking to go a different route with your door panels and don't want those CS grills/lowers anymore let me know!
Thanks!. Nice to see you post. Like I told Jack( Longroof 79 ) a minute ago, just hang on... I scored bigtime this afternoon. I got to take some pics, and write the narrative on this one...

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
1565901947642.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So last night I was searching my favorite sites/groups. I came across an ad for a Parting out a 1985 Cutlass. It looked a 442 paint job, but the wheels, hood, and sticker emblems were gone, and with no pics of the inside... you never know. I messaged him last night about 9pm, and he responded asked me to call during business hours in the morning. So I'm thinking Junk yard... ok. I responded, and told him I would call him tomorrow. I got up early ( I'm off work today ), but I had to cut the grass, edge, and sweep. I got cleaned up, and called him about 11:30. He said he wanted $250 ( J-Yard talk) for the rear axle, but said he "needed to check if it was a 12 bolt, or a 10 bolt". I knew right then he had no idea what he had. I asked for the Vin#, so I could check and see if the car came with a 4 speed overdrive transmission, as that would confirm the year model... ( You GBody pros will understand why I wanted the Vin# ). Since it's a J-Yard he had the vin right in his computer. IT WAS A VIN-9 ! That means 8.5 rear axle.I did not even ask if it was a Posi, because you never want them to think that thay have something " in demand ". I told him I would run the vin# and call him right back. I did, and told him all I wanted to spend on a rear axle was $200. He said If I come "today" ( you know how they do it..) that I could have it for $200. I left immediately, and drove over there. Here's what I got for $200 cash. Total.
IMG_1056.JPG

Look how nice and round that rear end is... Sexy! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG

1985 442 8.5" 3.73 Positraction rear axle assembly / parking brake cables / appropriate 1" shorter driveshaft / All hardware = $200. Thank you, Sir!!
GBody 8.5" rear axle for $200 - Good deal!
GBody 8.5" rear axle with positraction for $200 - Great deal!!
GBody 8.5" rear axle with positraction, parking brake cables, and driveshaft for $200 - Awesome deal!!

IMG_1064.JPG

I couldn't help myself... I already cleaned all the hardware on the wire wheel. Bagged & tagged it.

IMG_1063.JPG

Feelin' pretty good today!

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
James, my man, you never cease to amaze me. You made out like a fat rat. (y) I assume he threw the driveshaft in as well.
Did the car have the trans?
I think you need to buy a lottery ticket. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Great score yet again James!
Like you, I found the 3:73 8.5” rear that’s in Olds Cool from a 442 in a junkyard as well. Also from an ‘85. Coincidence??
You made out like a bandit with that thing being a posi, I wasn’t quite THAT lucky. I will say that I paid a little south of $200 for mine tho...
😉
Regardless, awesome scoop man. Very happy for ya. Really looking forward to seeing this thing come together.

Reactions: 4 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
You better hope no one calls the cops, cause you stole that!!! Some guys have all the luck. I bought one out of a GN off my own brother once and he still wacked me $800 for it. Congrats on the score.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
James, my man, you never cease to amaze me. You made out like a fat rat. (y) I assume he threw the driveshaft in as well.
Did the car have the trans?
I think you need to buy a lottery ticket. ;)
Jack, the driveshaft was included. No motor or trans, or I would have bought the trans also. I gave my wife $200 to go to Louisiana to gamble this morning... we'll see. ( Does that count )
Great score yet again James!
Like you, I found the 3:73 8.5” rear that’s in Olds Cool from a 442 in a junkyard as well. Also from an ‘85. Coincidence??
You made out like a bandit with that thing being a posi, I wasn’t quite THAT lucky. I will say that I paid a little south of $200 for mine tho...
😉
Regardless, awesome scoop man. Very happy for ya. Really looking forward to seeing this thing come together.
Thanks Donovan. After (8) months of buying parts, it's time to start tearing this car apart for the transformation. Just (2) weeks until I have some room to work. I need paint for the body, and machine work for the motor.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
You better hope no one calls the cops, cause you stole that!!! Some guys have all the luck. I bought one out of a GN off my own brother once and he still wacked me $800 for it. Congrats on the score.
Thanks! I have been lucky lately. I know I could post it on TurboBuick.com and get $1200 easily, but it's a keeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor