PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I love the fast back g body I have a 79 cutlass notch back that im cloning into the 10th anniversary car and I want to do a t top conversion I know from 81-88 the b pillar is different but any clue if this is true for 78 - 80
Show us...

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Got a little work done today. I removed all the brake lines, prop valve, and fuel lines from the frame. It is completely bare. I started the prepping the frame with the wire wheel. Got the front frame horns and cross member done, Everything up to the first body mount. Back on it tomorrow...

Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Rear frame horns and cross member done. I also removed about 100 ( no exaggeration ) pieces of welding slag. Those of you with any welding experience know that you can use a screwdriver and a small hammer to remove them. I used a flat file on a bunch of others that were too large to remove with the screwdriver/hammer method. I know... it's just a cruiser... but it will make the paint job a little nicer, especially up front, when you lift the hood. I need (1) more day with the wire wheel, and the frame will be clean enough to power wash.

Reactions: 8 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
What kind of wire wheel setup are you using? I found my angle grinder armed with a knotted brush to absolutely blow away anything I've ever put on a drill. When I first put it to the frame of my dually it made a cloud. It was so bad I went and bought a respirator. I'm looking forward to the progress here.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
4" grinder with knotted brush wheel, DeWalt hand-held drill with 2" wire wheel, 3" wire wheel, and 1" cylinder. My frame is in very good condition, and it's not hard to get it clean, it's just time consuming ( You already know ). I have (7) hours in it already. I have (4) days off this weekend, and it will be ready for paint. Thanks for checking in!

Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Good deal. Will you be boxing or modifying the frame at all? I want to weld on a brace up front that mimics the UMI piece and I see folks adding a tune up by the rear shock tower as well. In addition to boxing it and narrowing by the rear wheels to make room for more meat.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Good deal. Will you be boxing or modifying the frame at all? I want to weld on a brace up front that mimics the UMI piece and I see folks adding a tune up by the rear shock tower as well. In addition to boxing it and narrowing by the rear wheels to make room for more meat.
No frame notch on this car, but I will be adding all of the frame braces that are available for the G Body.
- Grand Prix front frame brace
- Cutlass jounce bars
( The combination of these two braces mimic the UMI brace you want to weld up )
- rear shock tower brace
- rear control arm brace
- trailer hitch ( rear frame brace )
I will also be using some body braces
- Cutlass fenderwell to core support braces
- Monte Carlo cowl to core support braces
- Regal back seat braces

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
What are the rear control arm braces and body braces?
The control arm braces tie the rear upper and lower trailing arms together. It really does help. My Cutlass frame isn't boxed or notched, but has pretty much every suspension and chassis stiffening product on it.....it is stiff! Between the massive front sway bar and rear shock brace and pro touring sway bar there should be no body roll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor