PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It's been a couple weeks, but I have a few things to report. I became a Grandfather on the 3rd. My Son and his Wife blessed our family with a healthy baby girl. The weather, although warm, has been too humid to paint anything. I'm counting on having to go over my frame a little with the wire wheel to remove surface rust that has formed :(. I got a section of pallet rack installed in the shop. That set me back a couple hundred dollars, and some time reorganizing things, but it will be very helpful, by providing me more room to work.
I took advantage of my employer's Year End Deals, and scored a new Olds HEI distributor for $35. It was out of it's original packaging, which matters none to me. Polished housing, and brass terminals.

IMG_1362.JPG

I dug through my stash again,and found a couple of useful items.

IMG_1363.JPG

I had already cleaned them with a toothbrush, and bagged them. They look great.

IMG_1370.JPG

These ought to work fine with the Blazer front brake swap.

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

That bracket mounts to the master cylinder studs on the brake booster. Don't know if I'll use it or not, but I had forgotten that I had it. We'll see.

I also cleaned up the frame bolts that are used to attach the brake lines, and fuel lines. I'll paint them when I paint the frame.

IMG_1368.JPG

My Eastwood Rust Encapsulator is ordered, and should be here by the end of the week. FYI, it's cheaper on Amazon... and free shipping for Prime Members. I have a couple of small goodies on order, but I'll update when they are delivered. ✌

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The weather just has not cooperated on my days off the last few weeks, but I have updates.
IMG_1405.JPG

You can see how thankful I am, that the frame was in such good shape. I was able to get it really clean using my 4" grinder w/ wire wheel, a drill w/ wire wheel, and a wire brush. All handheld tools, no blasting.
IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

The frame has been primed for (2) weeks, but the weather on my days off, has not been warm enough. :( Today it's 46 degrees and raining...
Parts hunting has been my game for (2) weeks, and...
IMG_1403.JPG

Cheaper than Inline Tube, or Classic Tube, withno negative feedback. I'll be sure to post my feedback. Fingers crossed on fitment...
IMG_1404.JPG

They may not be the best, but you can't beat $82 shipped for all (4).
IMG_1402.JPG

Every frame brace available, will be on the car.
IMG_1415.JPG

Bought these F Body rear control arms for literally half the price as G Body arms. Same length, and no sway bar holes. I will be using the Blazer rear sway bar, and making my own end links. You can see some of the hardware in this pic. I will elaborate on that coming soon. Still need a nice day to go get the sway bar from the J-yard.
IMG_1414.JPG

Dug these out of my stash. I had been keeping them for my GN, but since I will be installing all new parts on this bare frame, might as well install these also.
IMG_1413.JPG

All brake line bolts, rear control arm bolts, transmission crossmember bolts, transmission mount bolts, and motor mount bolts have all been cleaned up on the wire wheel.

I am still struggling to make a decision on coil springs. The car had a nice stance when I test fitted the Camaro 18" wheels ( due to sagging 42 year old springs, i'm sure ).
I think buying 2" drop front springs will lead to disappointment... The best option I can come up with at the moment is FRONT - Moog 5660 with 3/4 of a coil cut, and a 1/2" tall lower ball joint. REAR - UPR 2" drop coils. ** If anybody has any input, it is certainly welcomed.

I will be buying a NAPA rebuilt quick ratio steering box. I will probably have it by tomorrow.

Really wanting to get the frame painted, so I can get the rear axle installed, and the suspension back together. Thanks to all who follow this build, and all the positive comments.

Last edited:
Turbo Zach

Turbo Zach

Royal Smart Person
Sep 8, 2015
Coming along nicely. I don't remember what year your car is, but the frame looks to be like A body Monte frames with out the later frames with the bumper shocks?

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Coming along nicely. I don't remember what year your car is, but the frame looks to be like A body Monte frames with out the later frames with the bumper shocks?
1978. Thanks Zach

Reactions: Tony1968
JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Well, I probably could have painted the frame today, but did not. It warmed up to 66 degrees, but the morning started at 37 degrees, and I had already made plans to go to the J-yard today. It was 50% off today. I was going for the 2 Dr Blazer rear sway bar, but they didn't have one, so that didn't happen either... They usually have them, and I was just waiting so I could buy it for $11. Well, in my opinion I got something better. Trailer hitch. I have been wanting one for a while now to use a rear frame brace, and a cargo carrier. I will never tow anything with the car. In 5 years of hunting G Body parts in the yards, I have never come across one. They had an 84 Cutlass in the yard. Mine for $12.
IMG_1418.JPG

You can see the chain "ring" is bent. I will remove them for a cleaner look, and they will not be necessary, since I'm not towing. To be cleaned and painted soon...

I also picked up the NAPA Monte SS steering box. I sure hope this is a correct quick ratio box. I'm skeptical, but it was listed as the correct box w/ Z65 sport suspension.
These are $141 at my local store. Lifetime warranty... I also dug a Jeep steering shaft, and GP frame brace out of my stash.
IMG_1422.JPG

Now my car is a 78 ( splined column ), but I have (5) steering columns ( splined, DD, Manual & Automatic ) so I have options. Worst case... I weld the proper U-joint to the Jeep shaft, or use the best original G Body shaft that I have.

88AZSS

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Wonder if cutting that receiver off completely would compromise the strength of the bar. I wouldn't mind finding one of these as well for the rear rails. While I wont be towing either, I don't care to have the receiver seen at all. Having the exact length and holes for mounting is what I'd be after. I can cut things off but cant weld things together to make my own.

Reactions: Tony1968
JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Wonder if cutting that receiver off completely would compromise the strength of the bar. I wouldn't mind finding one of these as well for the rear rails. While I wont be towing either, I don't care to have the receiver seen at all. Having the exact length and holes for mounting is what I'd be after. I can cut things off but cant weld things together to make my own.
Not at all. You can see the L-shape bracket welded on the front... cut, and grind until your happy. The receiver tube is welded to the bottom... cut and grind until your happy. Done ( touch up paint recommended ).

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor