PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It's been a couple weeks, but I have a few things to report. I became a Grandfather on the 3rd. My Son and his Wife blessed our family with a healthy baby girl. The weather, although warm, has been too humid to paint anything. I'm counting on having to go over my frame a little with the wire wheel to remove surface rust that has formed :(. I got a section of pallet rack installed in the shop. That set me back a couple hundred dollars, and some time reorganizing things, but it will be very helpful, by providing me more room to work.
I took advantage of my employer's Year End Deals, and scored a new Olds HEI distributor for $35. It was out of it's original packaging, which matters none to me. Polished housing, and brass terminals.

IMG_1362.JPG

I dug through my stash again,and found a couple of useful items.

IMG_1363.JPG

I had already cleaned them with a toothbrush, and bagged them. They look great.

IMG_1370.JPG

These ought to work fine with the Blazer front brake swap.

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

That bracket mounts to the master cylinder studs on the brake booster. Don't know if I'll use it or not, but I had forgotten that I had it. We'll see.

I also cleaned up the frame bolts that are used to attach the brake lines, and fuel lines. I'll paint them when I paint the frame.

IMG_1368.JPG

My Eastwood Rust Encapsulator is ordered, and should be here by the end of the week. FYI, it's cheaper on Amazon... and free shipping for Prime Members. I have a couple of small goodies on order, but I'll update when they are delivered. ✌

Reactions: 9 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Congratulations Grandpa James. :D

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The weather just has not cooperated on my days off the last few weeks, but I have updates.
IMG_1405.JPG

You can see how thankful I am, that the frame was in such good shape. I was able to get it really clean using my 4" grinder w/ wire wheel, a drill w/ wire wheel, and a wire brush. All handheld tools, no blasting.
IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

The frame has been primed for (2) weeks, but the weather on my days off, has not been warm enough. :( Today it's 46 degrees and raining...
Parts hunting has been my game for (2) weeks, and...
IMG_1403.JPG

Cheaper than Inline Tube, or Classic Tube, withno negative feedback. I'll be sure to post my feedback. Fingers crossed on fitment...
IMG_1404.JPG

They may not be the best, but you can't beat $82 shipped for all (4).
IMG_1402.JPG

Every frame brace available, will be on the car.
IMG_1415.JPG

Bought these F Body rear control arms for literally half the price as G Body arms. Same length, and no sway bar holes. I will be using the Blazer rear sway bar, and making my own end links. You can see some of the hardware in this pic. I will elaborate on that coming soon. Still need a nice day to go get the sway bar from the J-yard.
IMG_1414.JPG

Dug these out of my stash. I had been keeping them for my GN, but since I will be installing all new parts on this bare frame, might as well install these also.
IMG_1413.JPG

All brake line bolts, rear control arm bolts, transmission crossmember bolts, transmission mount bolts, and motor mount bolts have all been cleaned up on the wire wheel.

I am still struggling to make a decision on coil springs. The car had a nice stance when I test fitted the Camaro 18" wheels ( due to sagging 42 year old springs, i'm sure ).
I think buying 2" drop front springs will lead to disappointment... The best option I can come up with at the moment is FRONT - Moog 5660 with 3/4 of a coil cut, and a 1/2" tall lower ball joint. REAR - UPR 2" drop coils. ** If anybody has any input, it is certainly welcomed.

I will be buying a NAPA rebuilt quick ratio steering box. I will probably have it by tomorrow.

Really wanting to get the frame painted, so I can get the rear axle installed, and the suspension back together. Thanks to all who follow this build, and all the positive comments.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 14 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Coming along nicely. I don't remember what year your car is, but the frame looks to be like A body Monte frames with out the later frames with the bumper shocks?

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Coming along nicely. I don't remember what year your car is, but the frame looks to be like A body Monte frames with out the later frames with the bumper shocks?
1978. Thanks Zach

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I've been very happy with the Right Stuff and have used both of the others mentioned. Their bends are in the correct locations, but stainless lines may need the flares seated several times to seal. Someone makes little, conical copper washers, but I just reseat them.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Well, I probably could have painted the frame today, but did not. It warmed up to 66 degrees, but the morning started at 37 degrees, and I had already made plans to go to the J-yard today. It was 50% off today. I was going for the 2 Dr Blazer rear sway bar, but they didn't have one, so that didn't happen either... They usually have them, and I was just waiting so I could buy it for $11. Well, in my opinion I got something better. Trailer hitch. I have been wanting one for a while now to use a rear frame brace, and a cargo carrier. I will never tow anything with the car. In 5 years of hunting G Body parts in the yards, I have never come across one. They had an 84 Cutlass in the yard. Mine for $12.
IMG_1418.JPG

You can see the chain "ring" is bent. I will remove them for a cleaner look, and they will not be necessary, since I'm not towing. To be cleaned and painted soon...

I also picked up the NAPA Monte SS steering box. I sure hope this is a correct quick ratio box. I'm skeptical, but it was listed as the correct box w/ Z65 sport suspension.
These are $141 at my local store. Lifetime warranty... I also dug a Jeep steering shaft, and GP frame brace out of my stash.
IMG_1422.JPG

Now my car is a 78 ( splined column ), but I have (5) steering columns ( splined, DD, Manual & Automatic ) so I have options. Worst case... I weld the proper U-joint to the Jeep shaft, or use the best original G Body shaft that I have.

Reactions: 12 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Wonder if cutting that receiver off completely would compromise the strength of the bar. I wouldn't mind finding one of these as well for the rear rails. While I wont be towing either, I don't care to have the receiver seen at all. Having the exact length and holes for mounting is what I'd be after. I can cut things off but cant weld things together to make my own.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Wonder if cutting that receiver off completely would compromise the strength of the bar. I wouldn't mind finding one of these as well for the rear rails. While I wont be towing either, I don't care to have the receiver seen at all. Having the exact length and holes for mounting is what I'd be after. I can cut things off but cant weld things together to make my own.
Not at all. You can see the L-shape bracket welded on the front... cut, and grind until your happy. The receiver tube is welded to the bottom... cut and grind until your happy. Done ( touch up paint recommended ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor