PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sucks to hear about the heads. Glad that you are moving forward though, and with a good attitude.
Honestly, this is one reason why I'm leaning towards just getting out of the hobby. No decent machine shops anymore. Lots of high priced "celebrity" builders and so-so work.

Last work I had done was a valve job on a pair of iron LT1 heads....$300 and 4 months....too busy building engines for the racers at the dirt track he bought.
Don't get out Brian. Just do more yourself.

Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Those look great. I know there is power lost with these but these are no doubt a good improvement over the regular SBO manifolds. I was impressed by how nice they were cast. What do the outlets measure? I would appreciate a verification on that. I have slowly failing ceramic coated Sanderson shorties, which all headers do on the 88, 10+ years old. I might say screw 20 hp, still be able to run my stock starter and have a ton of ground clearance. Did you buy down pipes? The Ram Air Restorations down are true 2.5" down pipes unlike the Pypes which are 2.25" into 2.5", mandrel bent and look really nice. The only plus of Pypes is 409 stainless, if they fit, there has been issues vs aluminum coated for the RAR pipes.
They did a good job. Hope the coating lasts for years to come. The Thornton port size is 2.25 " tall and 1.5" wide. The outlet is 2.125" and the exhaust I have is the Jeg's 2.5" stainless kit several of us bought 2 years ago when they had a sale on them. This kit is in storage, and not easy to get to in order to confirm the head / lead pipe size.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Having custom work done and getting shoddy results is a bummer, especially from someone considered one of the 'best'. Not like a bad oil pan or something you can return and at least get the money back or just go to a different supplier.

Hopefully it gets resolved and you can get the motor wrapped up and running! Nice to see the steady stream of parts!

It does seem as if your awesome local parts scrounging is drying up. Have you not been looking as much, or have you noticed the used parts classifieds have dried up lately? I seem to think that people up north at least aren't selling their parts as much lately, but not sure if that's me being picky or what.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
They did a good job. Hope the coating lasts for years to come. The Thornton port size is 2.25 " tall and 1.5" wide. The outlet is 2.125" and the exhaust I have is the Jeg's 2.5" stainless kit several of us bought 2 years ago when they had a sale on them. This kit is in storage, and not easy to get to in order to confirm the head / lead pipe size.
How much bigger do you think the outlet could be safely opened up? I am having second thoughts on headers. These will last forever and I would probably high temp clear coat them. Either the Pypes, 2.25" flange into 2.5" Stainless or Ram Air Restorations true 2.5" mandrel bent aluminumized head pipes, either would work, if the Pypes fit, sometimes they don't. You will need either of these or custom down pipes to hook up to that Jegs exhaust system.

Last edited:

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
2.25" is all I would be comfortable with. At that point, you risk compromising the flange where the donut seals. I'm expecting to have custom down pipes made.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Having custom work done and getting shoddy results is a bummer, especially from someone considered one of the 'best'. Not like a bad oil pan or something you can return and at least get the money back or just go to a different supplier.

Hopefully it gets resolved and you can get the motor wrapped up and running! Nice to see the steady stream of parts!

It does seem as if your awesome local parts scrounging is drying up. Have you not been looking as much, or have you noticed the used parts classifieds have dried up lately? I seem to think that people up north at least aren't selling their parts as much lately, but not sure if that's me being picky or what.
It's a bummer for sure, but it will not keep me from moving forward. I have been very selective on the parts scrounging. With (6) cars, and spares for just about everything ( tires / wheels / header panels / doors / fenders / grills / dashes / fender wells / bumpers / motors / transmissions / steering columns) not to mention tools, work benches, storage racks, engine hoist / welding table, compressor / Quik Jack lift... I am out of space.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Thanks, 2.25" sounds fine, a nice improvement over maybe 2" factory. The Pyles down pipes have the 2.25" flange into 2.5" mandrel bent Stainless Steel. Guys have used them with these manifolds with success, I will probably use them with these manifolds and they will match your Stainless exhaust.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
1606580329508.png

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 18 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor