PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The NOS rear impact strip is here. So glad to have them both. They will make great finishing touches, once installed.
IMG_2154.JPG

Fragola fuel pressure gauge.
IMG_2143.JPG

I had previously purchased the Summit brand exhaust manifold gaskets. They were nice quality, but too small for the Thornton exhaust manifolds. The Thorntons use BBO gaskets, as the exhaust ports are bigger. I purchased these Remflex gaskets from my employer. I found them in the Warehouse Deals department at my building for $24 shipped. These have excellent reviews, and because of their composition, and quench, they do not require re torqueing.
IMG_2144.JPG

I got my Edelbrock Performer RPM intake out of storage, so I can remove all the plugs, and clean it up. I am dropping it off Saturday to be Cerakoted to match the exhaust manifolds. This biotch better fit under the stock hood. I have talked to a couple Cutlass owners, and with a dropped air cleaner base it fits. I will also have new body mounts, so that is in my favor...
IMG_2147.JPG

Reactions: 9 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So I’ve either been asleep at the helm, have amnesia or have something affecting memory that I can’t remember to name off - 100psi fuel pressure gauge - what is your fuel system?

p.s. I re-skimmed bunch of pages - Geesh this a great car!

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes it just clears with a one inch drop base. Nice air cleaner by the way, jealous. Good to know about the SBO exhaust gaskets. I probably won't go with the Thornton manifolds, they give up 30 hp through the entire dyno curve, they have been tested. They will look great, last forever and never blow gaskets. I will try and convince Cutlassefi who doing some Olds 350 product test sessions, if I pay for a set of Sanderson shorty headers, if he will dyno them, I have never seen data on them or any Olds shorty for that matter. Good stuff.

Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So I’ve either been asleep at the helm, have amnesia or have something affecting memory that I can’t remember to name off - 100psi fuel pressure gauge - what is your fuel system?

p.s. I re-skimmed bunch of pages - Geesh this a great car!
Holley Sniper Stealth EFI = 58 lbs of fuel pressure. Thank you for the compliment.
Yes it just clears with a one inch drop base. Nice air cleaner by the way, jealous. Good to know about the SBO exhaust gaskets. I probably won't go with the Thornton manifolds, they give up 30 hp through the entire dyno curve, they have been tested. They will look great, last forever and never blow gaskets. I will try and convince Cutlassefi who doing some Olds 350 product test sessions, if I pay for a set of Sanderson shorty headers, if he will dyno them, I have never seen data on them or any Olds shorty for that matter. Good stuff.
Looking great, lasting forever, and never blowing gaskets is the goal for this car.

Reactions: 7 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It's been a month since I updated this thread. Just a bunch more parts. This car is getting expensive, but there will not be another like it!
ARP polished 12 pt. intake bolts.
IMG_2156.JPG

Speaking of intake manifolds... I picked it up from from the coating company today.

Before Cerakote...
IMG_2147.JPG

After Cerakote...
IMG_2210.JPG

This is the same color as the exhaust manifolds - Cerakote Glacier Silver. I'm going to have the aluminum accessory brackets coated also. These items should look great with black powder coated valve covers, thermostat housing, pulleys, etc. Black anodized fittings, and my black Holley EFI will look killer.
IMG_2167-1.jpg

New battery tray, and anodized pipe plugs for the intake.

IMG_2166.JPG

I said I wasn't going to do this... I couldn't help myself - Stainless button head bolts for the inner fenders, hood latch, hood hinges, trunk hinges, washer bottles, and battery tray.
IMG_2164.JPG

AC Delco lower radiator hose ( I have the top one also ), and positive battery cable.
IMG_2168.JPG

Negative battery cable.
IMG_2171.JPG

The correct valve springs for my cam. FU Jim Lapikas!!
IMG_2170.JPG

Inline Tube exhaust manifold studs, frame clips for the brake lines, timing cover bolts, and the single head bolt w/stud for the negative battery cable.
IMG_2172.JPG

Detroit Axle front hubs for the Blazer brake conversion. I had a pair of pretty nice junkyard units, but decided to get these. They come with the o-ring, and dust caps, and a 10 year warranty. I got the pair through my employer for $74 shipped.

IMG_2173.JPG

Aluminum transmission pan.
IMG_2174.JPG

It's time for the hard part - body work... I bought a 3M sander, tack cloths, and painter's plastic from my employer on the cheap. Searched for damaged packaging, and bought those...

The best news of 2021 so far... I will be getting a new shop lift in the next few weeks. 4 post drive on storage / lift. I had to sell my previous lift when I lost my shop space about 6 years ago. I'm excited to have one again.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Beautiful parts James, especially the intake. Looking forward to the updates!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
How much bigger do you think the outlet could be safely opened up? I am having second thoughts on headers. These will last forever and I would probably high temp clear coat them. Either the Pypes, 2.25" flange into 2.5" Stainless or Ram Air Restorations true 2.5" mandrel bent aluminumized head pipes, either would work, if the Pypes fit, sometimes they don't. You will need either of these or custom down pipes to hook up to that Jegs exhaust system.
O
Those are pretty trick! I follow the guy on IG that makes them. If I had a carbed motor, or carb style EFI I would def get one.
do you have any contact info on the person that makes these?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Detroit Axle front hubs for the Blazer brake conversion. I had a pair of pretty nice junkyard units, but decided to get these. They come with the o-ring, and dust caps, and a 10 year warranty. I got the pair through my employer for $74 shipped.
Do you warranty these thru the manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor