BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
104?! god bless her.
Well, 3 months shy.

My apologies on the brief hi-jack to your thread. Reportedly she went downhill very fast and was at peace.

Back when covid first broke she was on the news when they asked the retirement home staff to have residents share their advice for covid. Heres a little bit of humor she offered:

a2.jpg

May 5, 1917 - Feb 5, 2021. That's a pretty good run in my book.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Ok talk me through this one guy's. I now have my choice of two different T56's. A stock one, being pulled tomorrow from a Camaro with "no issues". Semi local to me, about a two hour drive. Or one that is from a transmission shop that specializes in 6 speeds, has a great reputation, and has a warranty, but costs 1k more.....has to be shipped from Texas but that price includes shipping

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My opinion would be a warranty is something thing that would sweeten the deal compaired to a "good" just pulled T56.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ok talk me through this one guy's. I now have my choice of two different T56's. A stock one, being pulled tomorrow from a Camaro with "no issues". Semi local to me, about a two hour drive. Or one that is from a transmission shop that specializes in 6 speeds, has a great reputation, and has a warranty, but costs 1k more.....has to be shipped from Texas but that price includes shipping
Well...

Does the TX one with the warranty have anything done to it? Or is it just used with a warranty? If it breaks in the warranty, I expect you need to pull it and pay freight to send it back?

The Iocal one, will they wait to pull it till you can test drive it?

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I can't test drive the local one... Texas one is rebuilt with a handful of better parts (synchros, bronze shiftpads) but basically stock. The warranty doesn't really matter to me as much as the difference in price. It would cost more than 1k to rebuild one (parts & labor) so if the supposedly good local one ended up needing anything, I'd be upside down in it and I should've just bought the rebuilt one. But.... if it doesn't need anything, I saved a grand which is huge.

Screenshot from the local transmission conversation
Screenshot_20210213-052651_Messenger.jpg

He's pulling it to put in a 4L80E and a big turbo. Or so he says...

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So after researching a little, maybe the local trans is worth it.. hmmm
Screenshot_20210213-055908_Chrome.jpg

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So after researching a little, maybe the local trans is worth it.. hmmm View attachment 168477
Here I am with another question.... is the TX one pre 2000? According to the article, if it was 2000 or later it sounds like the stock trans had rhe viper standard and didn't need an upgrade

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You know what.... knowing what you have is important. I vote TX.

A grand is a lot but extra transmission work is too.

If I were the seller of the car the local guy bought, I would've made sure to name the shop and say when it was rebuilt, if not have the receipt because it adds value. Seems strange he doesn't have info.. You don't know the quality of that local rebuilder. And you don't know how much was done or how in depth parts replacements were.

With the TX one you know it's zero miles on the new parts. You know what the parts are. You know who did it, and their reputation. You've got a receipt to show the appraiser/insurance to bump the car value higher.

A grand is a lot, but pulling the trans again is a real pita not to mention extra costs to fix something. And, like I said, documentation in your hands is BIG and only raises your value if something happens to the car.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor