BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Have to cut the axle flange from a rectangle, to a square and drill two more holes. Then basically bolt it on.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well, one step forward, two steps back. Went to put the cover back on the differential and while cleaning it, noticed it was cracked. WTH?! This "dimple" has been there as long as I've had the rear-end. Don't know how I ever overlooked this, but it would explain the reason it's always been damp. So new cover is ordered.

20220313_115911.jpg
20220313_115921.jpg

Then it was time to move onto the brake lines. I had bought a complete set of stainless lines when I did the frame, but I never installed the axle lines or rear hose as the existing ones were almost brand new. Figured now was the time.

20220313_161028.jpg

20220313_164716.jpg

20220313_164737.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Some good news finally....

Installed a larger spacer inside the differential to minimize the side to side play of the axles. This should minimize pad push back and in turn, a low brake pedal on first application. Detroit doesn't list this as a part that even fits 8.5". It's supposed to be for Ford 8.8". After lots of internet sleuthing I found out about this fix.
Part #52736
20220319_210458.jpg

I had looked around for a rear seat delete kit, and found the one available from Scott Rod Fab. Looks great but wanted something sooner. They are currently 3 months out. Since I have all sorts of metalworking equipment available at my work, I was just going to order a sheet of aluminum and make it myself. Long story short, no one had a sheet locally, shipping and palletizing fee made it not economical to get one. So I contacted Scott Rod and they happened to have a kit in stock and could ship the same day.

Took several hours of trimming and fitting, but fits pretty damn good. Better to go slow and make make small cuts, than one big one and regret it when it's too much... I still have to weld the down bars in place. Want to make some escutcheon washers to cover the holes where the bars go thru. Of course I drilled them off just a bit and my OCD can't handle seeing the down bars off center in the holes. Main hoop is welded in though.
20220319_184831.jpg

20220319_184750.jpg

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Nice work! Just out of curiosity what exactly were you experiencing with the brakes that made you put those spacers in? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Some good news finally....

Installed a larger spacer inside the differential to minimize the side to side play of the axles. This should minimize pad push back and in turn, a low brake pedal on first application. Detroit doesn't list this as a part that even fits 8.5". It's supposed to be for Ford 8.8". After lots of internet sleuthing I found out about this fix.
Part #52736
View attachment 194644

I had looked around for a rear seat delete kit, and found the one available from Scott Rod Fab. Looks great but wanted something sooner. They are currently 3 months out. Since I have all sorts of metalworking equipment available at my work, I was just going to order a sheet of aluminum and make it myself. Long story short, no one had a sheet locally, shipping and palletizing fee made it not economical to get one. So I contacted Scott Rod and they happened to have a kit in stock and could ship the same day.

Took several hours of trimming and fitting, but fits pretty damn good. Better to go slow and make make small cuts, than one big one and regret it when it's too much... I still have to weld the down bars in place. Want to make some escutcheon washers to cover the holes where the bars go thru. Of course I drilled them off just a bit and my OCD can't handle seeing the down bars off center in the holes. Main hoop is welded in though.
View attachment 194645

View attachment 194646
Please post more info on the spacers when you install them. I can't seem to picture where they go.

The roll cage and rear seat delete is looking very clean. Nice work.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Nice work! Just out of curiosity what exactly were you experiencing with the brakes that made you put those spacers in? Thanks!
So there is only one spacer. It merely goes between the axles to stop them from coming in further. Imagine the standard cross shaft in most diffs. That is what stops the axles from moving in and you have to remove it, in order to push them in order to get the c clips out, to remove the axles.

I didn't have any brake issues before, because I had drum brakes. I did however have a very annoying clunking that I could only duplicate once after backing up and turning, then upon accelerating forward I would get a single loud clunk from the rear of the car. I thought for the longest time it was the bad body bushings/frame rot. New frame and bushings didn't change the noise at all. Chased the suspension all over, never found anything, plus it was all new. Had it sitting on jack stands one day and something made me tug on the tire. I heard a loud thud as the axle came out and stopped when the c clip finally seated. Too much play. People have chased low brake pedal problems with rear disc's because the axle movement pushes the caliper piston back so upon first application, you have long travel to get the piston back out where it's supposed to be. Then it's fine. Until you turn another corner and it happens all over again. Figured while I had it apart I'd kill two birds with one stone.

The original differential kit only comes with one spacer. This kit comes with two that are different heights/thicknesses. So you end up having three different sizes to choose from for your particular case. I used the middle size one which was .840 IIRC.
Love those closeout panels!
Thank you!
Please post more info on the spacers when you install them. I can't seem to picture where they go.

The roll cage and rear seat delete is looking very clean. Nice work.

Thank you. Hopefully my description helps with their location. I didn't snag any pics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Ok I could use some help. I need a new diff cover. I ordered one off Amazon. It will NOT fit an 8.5" rear end. Bolt pattern is completely different. Weird thing is Yukon axle and Randy's Ring & Pinion both show the same exact part as fitting. I know the GN rear in my car is a standard 8.5" what am I missing? I'd rather not have one of the overly large aluminum covers, gawdy chrome is out too. I just want a plain black steel cover. A drain/fill is ok top, but a bone stock one would be just fine. They are obsolete per GM. Any ideas?
Here's a link of the one from Amazon, and Yukon Gear.

A-Premium Rear Differential Cover with Gasket & Magnet Compatible with Escalade Silverado Sierra Suburban Express Sonoma Tahoe Yukon S10 Blazer Jimmy Savana 1998-2010 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRGCYF2/?tag=gbody-20

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor