BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks! Should've gotten more done this weekend but had other things to do, and the beer was really cold Saturday night. 😂
Still lots of time. Looks like your a weekend away from having it finished.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Still lots of time. Looks like your a weekend away from having it finished.
Yeah. Need to patch the floor where my original shifter hole was. Make patches where the cage goes thru the floor. Install new carpet, secure rear seat delete kit, and escutcheon's down, and of course mount the seat belts. That will finish the cage and interior.

Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
No pics, but I finally finished the last brake line, and swapped out the proportioning valve for a disc/disc unit. Forgot how much of a PITA it is trying to get all the lines in, then the mounting bolts. Fought it for over 30 minutes. My neck is sore because I haven't been under a car for that long, in a long time. 🤣 Need to bleed them and that'll be one more thing off the to do list.

There is an SCCA novice class this Saturday. Really want to go but I don't think I can finish everything on the car by then. Gives me something to shoot for though and maybe some motivation to get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
First thing I attacked today was removing the water pump. Short story is I needed to replace the throttle body, dropped a bolt and it fell INSIDE the water pump pulley. There isn't enough room for it to come out the bottom on the pulley so the pump had to come off to be tipped upside down for the bolt to come out. F. M. L.

Anyways finally got it. Of course made a mess with coolant even with a huge drip pan. While I was in the cooling system, I added the missing shut off valve to the heater core. That'll make driving in the summer a little more comfortable LOL. Also tried adding another coolant temp sensor so my factory gauges will work along with the display on the Holley screen. But.... the plug in the cylinder will not come out and now it's partially stripped. So that'll have to wait for another day.

20220430_105341.jpg

20220430_105441.jpg

20220430_145744.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Should be another plug on passenger side head if you need
Couldn't use a magnet to fish that bolt out?

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I thought LS's required the water loop to the heater core to be recirculated for proper cooling?

The set-up's I've seen bypassed the core by doing a U-turn @ the bypass & recirc'd the water back to the engine.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I thought LS's required the water loop to the heater core to be recirculated for proper cooling?

The set-up's I've seen bypassed the core by doing a U-turn @ the bypass & recirc'd the water back to the engine.
I think I'm missing something from your question. The heater core outlets on the waterpump can be looped to gether if you're not using a heater core, or you can use them if you are. I am using a heater. Those are the stock output and return on an LS. Works fine.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I think he's talking about the shut off valve you said you are installing. I'm confused also

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I think I'm missing something from your question. The heater core outlets on the waterproof can be looped to gether if you're not using a heater core, or you can use them if you are. I am using a heater. Those are the stock output and return on an LS. Works fine.

I think he's talking about the shut off valve you said you are installing. I'm confused also
Yes, I'm talking about use of a shut-off valve.
I understood those should be avoided w/the LS motors & there needs to be supply & return flow to the coolant loop vs dead-heading.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor