BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
Awe inspiring work Donovan!

You’re more than welcome to Duke, as is any forum member that cares to and is close enough. I’ve already met a couple local members, and they’re all great folk. We keep talking about it, we just need to make it happen already!

Calgary, AB is not that far from Dover, DE, right?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Holy Moly Molding Moiling Trim Toiling Batman! :love: :notworthy:

Um, did I mention I got my front 2 body bushings swapped? :roll:

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, unfortunately I didn’t get any pics outside in the daylight today. However I did get some more of the assembly done and a little quirk ironed out.

Assembled the door handles and locks with the brand new gaskets...

288A96D3-0E9E-413E-B002-A3147107437A.jpeg

...and got them installed on the car. What a vast improvement. No more loose and rattling handle on the driver’s side, and the locks turn so much more freely since I cleaned and lubricated them.
The new lock gaskets add a nice touch of detail too:

5512555C-B6CA-4226-8ED9-62CB16F5F5A3.jpeg

B36978CC-B340-4761-9454-5D33730B5F31.jpeg

Next I wanted to address an alignment issue between the belt and quarter glass mouldings that I wasn’t happy with. When the belt mouldings were installed loose without the screws, they aligned beautifully with the quarter moulding. But as soon as I installed the screws and snugged them down, the alignment went for sh*t.

After carefully analyzing the situation, I noted that the belt mouldings sat a little too far back for my liking. Perfect opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone. I simply removed all the screws, slid the mouldings forward slightly, and drilled new holes. Problem solved, and looks so much better.

Sorry, no “before” pics, but it looks really good now:

7F353BB4-1ACC-4E2C-BDC1-9C6A04509755.jpeg

3D74AF7B-5C01-498F-B7CB-8510F890C235.jpeg

With that wrapped up, I installed the passenger side mirror, and spent the remainder of the evening making some adjustments to the passenger door glass.
The driver’s side mirror will be replaced with one in better condition. I have it already, but it’s a hideous shade of green and it needs to be stripped and painted so it’s not going back on anytime soon.

In the meantime it’s starting to look like a car again!

B56C1BF1-E645-42D2-8CEE-CB7DCD6AF53F.jpeg

095F5A71-423E-4C95-B603-3BCB6FD8CFB7.jpeg

I’ve got commitments to attend to tomorrow evening, but I should be back on this thing by the weekend. If all goes well, I might be able to get the header panel in it’s second coat of high build.
Fingers crossed.

D.

Reactions: 19 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looking killer man... Love your work... really gives me inspiration !!!! :banana:

Thank you sir! I appreciate the kind words.

I’ve been watching your Pro-Touring build as well, something that I’ve got a real soft spot for. My other G body is a full blown over the top, high end PT build as well, only with a 455 Olds between the fenders.
It has its own build thread on the forum here, and is affectionately known as “The Juggernaut”.

I’m eagerly awaiting more updates on yours.

love the work on the trim Donovan, absolutely amazing you were able to get that good of a match to the brushed trim with paint. :notworthy:

Thanks Josh.
I’m not gonna lie, I was very much surprised at that as well. The plan going in that night was to just paint all the mouldings silver and figure out a way to reinstate the brushed finish afterwards.

But as soon as I realized how close the color really was to the natural finish of the mouldings, and how transparent the paint was going on, I quickly realized that the blending process just might be successful here. Worse case scenario if it was a flop, I’d only be back to shooting everything entirely silver again.

There was definitely a little bit of luck involved there, but I’ll take it. I’d rather be lucky than “good” any day of the week.

Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just doing some musing out loud here.

It may only be the middle of August, but here in Western Canuckistan the cooler temps are already making their presence known (single digit temps in the mornings), and that combined with the noticeable reduction in daylight hours has me thinking about the inevitable. The dreaded “W” word that’ll be coming all too soon.

I think once the header panel has its second coat of high build on it, I’ll start work on some of the bigger stuff (like the hood) while I still have the chance to move the car outside and there’s not a 4’ snow drift behind the garage door. There’s simply not enough room to put the hood on the stand and work on it with 2 cars in the shop.

It’s currently only 7:00 in the morning here, too early to be firing up noisy hot rods and running compressors, but as soon as the neighborhood wakes up some, I’ll do just that. I don’t see any reason why I can’t shoot more primer on the header today. It’ll also give me a chance to get some daylight pictures of the car for you guys that have requested it.

It’s gonna be a good day.

D.

Reactions: 11 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Just doing some musing out loud here.

It may only be the middle of August, but here in Western Canuckistan the cooler temps are already making their presence known (single digit temps in the mornings), and that combined with the noticeable reduction in daylight hours has me thinking about the inevitable. The dreaded “W” word that’ll be coming all too soon.

I think once the header panel has its second coat of high build on it, I’ll start work on some of the bigger stuff (like the hood) while I still have the chance to move the car outside and there’s not a 4’ snow drift behind the garage door. There’s simply not enough room to put the hood on the stand and work on it with 2 cars in the shop.

It’s currently only 7:00 in the morning here, too early to be firing up noisy hot rods and running compressors, but as soon as the neighborhood wakes up some, I’ll do just that. I don’t see any reason why I can’t shoot more primer on the header today. It’ll also give me a chance to get some daylight pictures of the car for you guys that have requested it.

It’s gonna be a good day.

D.
Get at it D. I'm currently cobbling exhaust together. One down, one to go, then I'll be pushing this turd out for another attempt at running.

Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor