BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, this old girl is looking pretty rough right about now.

Last night I got the high build on the fenders and the sides of the header panel blocked out in 220...

58A0E998-BB93-48C2-842E-F96C434F6E53.jpeg

688C7181-087D-48AA-B493-7DEBB51B39FC.jpeg

8B46B25D-9C38-4613-9860-7F122D97F76B.jpeg

...and found some definite issues to be fixed up along the way. Pretty much the same as on the rest of the car.

Then I turned my attention to getting the rest of the header levelled out as well. Same story here, mostly good but needs a bit more work in places.
Here it is mid-process:

CDDA3254-0770-47A3-9918-1C45136A0B0B.jpeg

Once I finished the header, I blocked out the dark grey painted sections of the tops of the fenders in 320. I didn’t have to start with 220 here because they had been blocked and painted already. It was more to level out the surface and get rid of the orange peel and dust that was in it.

DC066C8A-814C-48D6-BB4E-AEAB83541B0D.jpeg

0215F2A1-6510-4C7A-9479-264F7402BEA9.jpeg

At this point, all that’s left to block is the tops of the doors, the two little sections under/around the quarter glass mouldings, and the trunk to back window filler panel.

This is the worst the car has looked in a long time, possibly even since it was rusty and full of holes as seen above. It’s a bit of a blow to be honest, to see it go from looking halfways presentable and fully assembled, to looking like this all within a week. I really didn’t want to share these “progress” pics with y’all as it doesn’t really feel much like progress at this point, but I also promised to share my tribulations with you as much as my triumphs.

But.

It’s also the straightest this car has ever been, including from when it was new. And that should be worth something all on its own.

Let’s be honest, this is the sh*t that no one cares about, no one wants to see, and gets the least amount of respect. Which to me is odd, because it’s the most critical part of getting a beautiful straight finished product. The block doesn’t lie, either it’s straight or it’s not and it’ll definitely show you exactly where it’s not.
You’re never gonna see 20 minutes of coverage on a block sanding segment on your favourite gear head tv show. They skip right over it because it’s not entertaining. Paint is much more glamorous and better for the ratings.

Anyways, tomorrow night I should be able to knock out the last of the initial block sanding, then it’ll be time to go back and start making the necessary repairs and fine tuning. Hopefully it’ll start looking a little better again then.

Wish me luck.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 21 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I think these photos are a testament to just how much time and effort you've put (and are continuing to put) into this car Donovan. You've done a hell of a job, and the finish line is definitely in sight.

• Agree
Reactions: 12 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Donovan... I must disagree with you
This is precisely the stuff guys like me need to see in order to understand.
Don't get down on yourself brother because you are teaching us an invaluable lesson and skill. Patience.
Thank you!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's crucial, historical documentation of where you were and where you are. No need for apologies for the non-sexy, major milestone progress.

Thinking of TURNA 's Worm Moon post, when man first stepped on the moon, it was all about the astronauts on the TV. But peel back that onion and you'd see years of preparation and readiness by THOUSANDS of support crew and behind-the-scenes "non-sexy" parts of the process to get them to that viral moment. To the guy applying that paintable ceramic coating on parts in a spray booth somewhere back in 1968 or so (to protect those parts from excessive heat on re-entry)- it was probably was just another job to him that put food on the table back then...

Be proud of these accomplishments. It's kind of like watching one of those old Bob Ross paintings come to life right there in front of you. They're not mistakes, they're happy little accidents. :)

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 14 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Man this thread needs an index. Lol. i just went back and re-read the first 40 pages looking for some info.
almost forgot how much you actually did on this car. The little details. Kudos sir!

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Donovan your documentation is what makes me understand body work better, and never want to do it. 🤣 Your "driver" will look better than most show cars!

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Man this thread needs an index. Lol. i just went back and re-read the first 40 pages looking for some info.
almost forgot how much you actually did on this car. The little details. Kudos sir!

Thanks! Sorry you had to read through 40 pages, but I’m glad you refreshed yourself with what’s gone into it since then. I’ve spent serious time looking for stuff I know I’ve covered in it myself so I can totally sympathize!
As for the details, they’re what make or break it IMO.

Did you ever find the information you were looking for??

Donovan your documentation is what makes me understand body work better, and never want to do it. 🤣 Your "driver" will look better than most show cars!

Thank you. The documentation is intended to be just that, and not necessarily a tutorial, but I get that the guys find it useful on their own builds so I try and make it as comprehensive as possible.

To be fair, I’ve undertaken a very large project doing all the paint and bodywork on this car myself. When you take your car into a body shop for repairs, there isn’t just one guy that works on your car start to finish. There’s a small army of techs that specialize in each area. A licenced journeyman bodyman or 2 will handle the initial collision and/or frame repairs to start, then it goes to the prep area where 2 or 3 refinishing techs handle all the priming, blocking and paint prep aspects before it moves into the paint department for masking and paint.

So for me to attempt to handle all these aspects myself, and on not just one one panel but the whole car quickly becomes a pretty serious undertaking. And that doesn’t even take into account any rust repairs or fabrication. So all in all I think I’m probably doing pretty good all things considering!

Thanks for commenting and the compliments.

D.

Reactions: 12 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
From page 3 of my build........
I threw in the towel on the bodywork. After 3 rounds of fill and sand, I threw both middles up. I don't have the patience for it. I want my garage back, and the car back on the road!:(

Reactions: 2 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Thanks! Sorry you had to read through 40 pages, but I’m glad you refreshed yourself with what’s gone into it since then. I’ve spent serious time looking for stuff I know I’ve covered in it myself so I can totally sympathize!
As for the details, they’re what make or break it IMO.

Did you ever find the information you were looking for??

Thank you. The documentation is intended to be just that, and not necessarily a tutorial, but I get that the guys find it useful on their own builds so I try and make it as comprehensive as possible.

To be fair, I’ve undertaken a very large project doing all the paint and bodywork on this car myself. When you take your car into a body shop for repairs, there isn’t just one guy that works on your car start to finish. There’s a small army of techs that specialize in each area. A licenced journeyman bodyman or 2 will handle the initial collision and/or frame repairs to start, then it goes to the prep area where 2 or 3 refinishing techs handle all the priming, blocking and paint prep aspects before it moves into the paint department for masking and paint.

So for me to attempt to handle all these aspects myself, and on not just one one panel but the whole car quickly becomes a pretty serious undertaking. And that doesn’t even take into account any rust repairs or fabrication. So all in all I think I’m probably doing pretty good all things considering!

Thanks for commenting and the compliments.

D.
Dont apologize at all man. I thoroughly enjoy it and learn something every time i go back. Yes i did find it. I am in the process of tearing off my landau top and wanted to double check the steps you took. I think because i am in south florida and working outside i am going to epoxy prime first or else i will flash rust in about 4 minutes. Lol
Thanks again for the time and effort you took in putting this all on the forum.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
From page 3 of my build........
fleming442 said:
I threw in the towel on the bodywork. After 3 rounds of fill and sand, I threw both middles up. I don't have the patience for it. I want my garage back, and the car back on the road!:(

Might have something to do with all the paint blowing off the front end....
😉

Thanks again for the time and effort you took in putting this all on the forum.

My pleasure. It’s rewarding to know you guys that take the time to read it at least find it useful.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor