BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dude needed it, maybe he'll post a pic of his respirator after spraying red!

Yup, as Scott said I really needed it after shooting Mike’s trunk on the weekend. I sent Scott this picture last night to show how bad it can get spraying in an unventilated garage:

B8363B2B-6D0D-4BA9-93BF-CF9BC56BF99B.jpeg

• Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: 8 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Awesome job as usual. Quick question. Where did you find filters? Ive been looking since all this happened with no luck. I can smell paint now if I spray. Also Ive been meaning to ask why you sprayed the grey while still bodyworking the car?

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Awesome job as usual. Quick question. Where did you find filters? Ive been looking since all this happened with no luck. I can smell paint now if I spray. Also Ive been meaning to ask why you sprayed the grey while still bodyworking the car?

I got the filters from my usual local supplier, Advanced Coatings here in Calgary Alberta Canada. I phoned the order in in the morning, and picked it up that afternoon. He didn’t say there was any issue with getting the filters, I just told him what I needed and he had them ready.

Why spray the grey? As in the grey primer, or the metallic grey paint? If you’re referring to the paint, it’s so that I could get coverage inside the areas that won’t be accessible once it’s masked for shooting the outside. Insides of fenders, door top edges and the like. Since I had to stop the color somewhere, it was just as easy to mask to the bodyline and shoot the whole thing.

As an added bonus, it provided a good idea of what the two tone will look like, and added a little extra motivation as a result.

Reactions: 5 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I got the filters from my usual local supplier, Advanced Coatings here in Calgary Alberta Canada. I phoned the order in in the morning, and picked it up that afternoon. He didn’t say there was any issue with getting the filters, I just told him what I needed and he had them ready.

Why spray the grey? As in the grey primer, or the metallic grey paint? If you’re referring to the paint, it’s so that I could get coverage inside the areas that won’t be accessible once it’s masked for shooting the outside. Insides of fenders, door top edges and the like. Since I had to stop the color somewhere, it was just as easy to mask to the bodyline and shoot the whole thing.

As an added bonus, it provided a good idea of what the two tone will look like, and added a little extra motivation as a result.
Thanks. Yea i was talking about the paint. I honestly thought you did it just to see how it looked but I figured yhere was another real reason. I was contemplating trying to have my buddy spray my car in my garage but niw im definitely thinking thats a bad idea. I just hope i dont make to huge a mess spraying the primer during the bodywork stage.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks. Yea i was talking about the paint. I honestly thought you did it just to see how it looked but I figured yhere was another real reason. I was contemplating trying to have my buddy spray my car in my garage but niw im definitely thinking thats a bad idea. I just hope i dont make to huge a mess spraying the primer during the bodywork stage.

Spraying primer isn’t too bad if you’ve got a decent HVLP gun and the right air pressure. High build is pretty heavy so you don’t get much overspray and what you do get settles quickly. Not like clear coat. Clear gets very finely atomized and hangs in the air forever.
You’ll make much more mess sanding the primer, trust me. My garage currently looks like a light grey colored baby powder bomb went off in there.
😕

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Do it without the mask. Coats inner linings of lungs, Coronavirus can't get through the paint film in lungs....SAVED!!!!!! :) Or maybe not?

Just paint it outside if you're worried about paint fog. Jesus people!! Put it on thick so you can color sand the bugs out of it!

Ok, for real serious...this is exactly why you need the right PPE and a paint booth designed to minimize the hazardous breathing of the vapors. Full scale garage painting is always possible, but highly unadviseable.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
good for you,i swapped out my last kit today,i don't know when I'll see any of it again but those yellow pre filters have been there for a while.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor