BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would have to do the other fender before I forgot how I did the first one. :eek:

Normally I would, but space is at a premium at the Rktpwrd skunkworks. Both cars are sandwiched together with barely enough room to slide a sheet of paper through, just to give me enough space to work on the passenger’s side.

Besides, with the ordeal I just went through with the first one, I’m not likely to forget what I did any time soon!!

Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
just got caught back up again D!

your creativity and skills continue to boggle my mind, all while giving me ideas and techniques at the same time. The same with having the intestinal fortitude to try something that'll take quite a bit of work to reverse if it doesn't work! keep up the awe inspiring work, as I'll keep glued to the monitor!

Darin

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
just got caught back up again D!

your creativity and skills continue to boggle my mind, all while giving me ideas and techniques at the same time. The same with having the intestinal fortitude to try something that'll take quite a bit of work to reverse if it doesn't work! keep up the awe inspiring work, as I'll keep glued to the monitor!

Darin

Thanks Darin, I’ll certainly try. Glad to hear ya got caught up, you’ll have to check back more frequently now that I’m in “full steam ahead winter mode”. I appreciate guys like you that take the time to read through and comment on the build.
Thanks man.

For everyone else, I’m already making good headway in the past 2 days since getting the inside of the fender painted. Another update will be coming soon...

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, I’m not quite done with the fender just yet, got a few more things planned for it, but I want it to cure a bit longer. So it got temporarily placed back on the car, and I decided to have a look at the passenger’s side door jamb.

Looks like we got a big ‘ol mess going on in there!

D7CD320A-CE74-460A-AD85-6DCA7152FDF3.jpeg

A closeup of the nastiness going on at the bottom:

5613B6D9-6792-4552-970F-61839B3AD797.jpeg

Why is it rust always looks worse on a white car? 😖

C2794F34-AC5B-48A9-A031-06F1E64918EE.jpeg

To keep the mess I knew I’d be making from getting inside, I masked off the door opening...

FA646F0B-2E50-4DD7-A8FD-30A51F0EE835.jpeg

...as well as the (as of yet) unfinished AstroRoof opening:

E0E88E50-94D3-48F4-B91B-E626794CBFB2.jpeg

Several rounds of cleaning and wiping down with wax and grease remover later, I also had the jamb vents, door striker, seatbelt retractor/door popper, sills and other associated parts removed. Looks a little better, but not much:

9D4AC6A7-8EE1-4D3C-8895-5DAB4CDE6168.jpeg

Time to work my magic! After 2 nights, things were looking much better with all the old paint, primer, and seam sealer stripped out, not to mention the rust:

C618F7CF-2E06-4F09-BF09-2DCEC2484048.jpeg

This is a closeup of the same rusty-assed spot after some considerable cleanup. Doesn’t even look like the same area, I’m extremely pleased with how well it came back:

198834B5-1716-4103-8633-F47B46573823.jpeg

Last picture for now, I’ve got 80% of the upper/inner rocker stripped, just have to continue towards the front as far as I can until the door comes off:

96D27E1A-E01F-4610-B632-18AB74737F7B.jpeg

I’ll end up stripping the lower/outer rocker panel at the same time, might as well get it all over and done at once. I woulda worked on it tonight, but this week and the late nights have taken their toll and I’m plumb beat.

That’s all for now gents, thanks.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 17 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looking good Donovan! Glad you didn't find any rust through....

Thanks Kevin. Yeah, me too most definitely. It would have been a real pain to try and do a rust repair in that corner. I’m just glad I was able to clean up and salvage what was there.
A little TLC, proper seam sealer, primer and paint, and it should look good as new again.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Happy
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Pulled double duty today.

Spent the majority of the day working on Mike’s ‘57 Chevy, after a long hiatus, today finally we resumed getting the underside of his trunk lid ready for paint.

4CAF8DB8-B316-4DA8-8857-C35CCBF59C35.jpeg

EF611122-73DE-4866-AC5F-E7F67AF09108.jpeg

Normally I’d be done for by the end of a day like that, but after a bite to eat and a quick cat nap, I was feeling motivated to get a bit more done on my own junk.
I got the rest of the upper/inner rocker stripped up to the front seam...

BD7EB372-80C5-4BA5-BDC2-8EE7EEB23C73.jpeg

...then spent the rest of the time practicing and honing a new technique, metal finishing.

Ok, it’s not exactly “new”, but it’s something I’ve never really concerned myself much with in the past. It’s the process of smoothing out the metal in consecutively finer and finer grits until it’s a perfect finish that requires no filler. Of course, this is only able to be done if the area is already flat and straight.

I believe you never stop learning, and if you do, you might as well roll over and die because there’s so much to know out there. So with that being said, I decided to try and give the process an honest effort just to see what I could accomplish. The area in question is the bottom corner of the passenger’s side door jamb where the rust was so awful. I had successfully ground out all the rust right down to the deepest pits, but I had used an aggressive 36 grit disc to do so.

My initial plan was to lightly skim the area with some putty to smooth out all the grinder marks, but that would’ve required hours of painstaking hand and finger sanding, not fun by any stretch. So instead, I figured this would be the perfect place to try my hand at metal finishing. After a bit of experimentation, I came up with the perfect combination of progressive grits:

Initial grinder marks were 36, but I found if I spent some time smoothing those out with a 60 grit disc, I could eventually get them to disappear. Then 80 grit on the DA to remove the 60 grit scratches. Still time consuming, but very rewarding once done. The ultimate reward though is to not have to use any more filler.

I’m still working on it, so it’s not completely done yet, but it’s already a far cry from the heavy grinder marks I had there before.
Before:

894AB76E-F5A5-4CE3-A747-DE334889BF4B.jpeg

After:

704326B3-ACD6-4EB0-A484-D2BC87D357B7.jpeg

I know it’s tough to see much of a difference in the pictures, but in person it’s a remarkable improvement. And yes, I know it’s probably anal retentive and just a door jamb, but I look at it as an area to experiment on and develop a new technique.

Never too old to try something different, and maybe even learn a new skill!
😉

D.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 16 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor