Project "Sand Bagger"

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois
Re: Project "Bagging Rights"

Nothing too exciting, took forever to get the ball joints and all bushings out of the control arms. I cut the spring cups out to allow the bags to be fully deflated and not rub anything.

DSC_0048.jpg

I should get about 9" lower than stock height aired out. I think the headers will hit the ground right around that height. I'll work that out later.

I think I figured out the rear suspension, I really dont want to cut up the bed floor and driveshaft tunnel, looks like I could get close to 10" of drop and leave it intact. Time will tell I guess.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

nice man! may be tackiling something like this next in the garage, was scared to do it, but thanks for the thread, inspiration... where did you get the bag cups for, for the front, were there any other ones that direct fit, or should I go with the same ones, and did they bolt on or weld in?

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA

Elco is looking awesome so far!

love the audi dude! I'm kinda the opposite i guess, have had my cutlass for a while, just got into the vw's 8) picked up a mki rabbit. getting painted, and going low with round headlights next spring, got a few sets of wheels in progress. Is the audi just on coilovers?

101_1128.jpg

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009

if you need help with anything let me know. I did everything that you are doing. :D if you get in a snag just send me a message would love to help if you need it. that what this forum is all about :wink:! good looking start, always wanted to do a matching el camino to my wagon ! maybe i will get the will to do another bag car one day! Hope your not mad that I posted one picture on your tread. not trying to steal it. just thought that you might get some idea's! someone also said something about Iroc's. Cutting up the bed and drive shaft tunnel is alot of work but the car will sit so much lower, but is so worth the work. The Picture that I did post is with a custom 5" bump stop. got kinda scared driving around if a bag even blew it would take out my gas tank. if you look at my other pictures, the rear bumper is almost on the ground. Take care bud and good luck.

if you wanna see my tread go here --- viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16268

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,577

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

LSCustoms said:
nice man! may be tackiling something like this next in the garage, was scared to do it, but thanks for the thread, inspiration... where did you get the bag cups for, for the front, were there any other ones that direct fit, or should I go with the same ones, and did they bolt on or weld in?

The bag cups I got from Newmatics. They are bolt in and I just shaved a little off them for clearance of the deflated bag. I will take some pics when I take them back out.
3XBrownCutty said:
Elco is looking awesome so far!

love the audi dude! I'm kinda the opposite i guess, have had my cutlass for a while, just got into the vw's 8) picked up a mki rabbit. getting painted, and going low with round headlights next spring, got a few sets of wheels in progress. Is the audi just on coilovers?

I love MK1's. Super cool cars. The A4 is on H&R ultralows coilovers.

1983mailbuwagon said:
if you need help with anything let me know. I did everything that you are doing. :D if you get in a snag just send me a message would love to help if you need it. that what this forum is all about :wink:! good looking start, always wanted to do a matching el camino to my wagon ! maybe i will get the will to do another bag car one day! Hope your not mad that I posted one picture on your tread. not trying to steal it. just thought that you might get some idea's! someone also said something about Iroc's. Cutting up the bed and drive shaft tunnel is alot of work but the car will sit so much lower, but is so worth the work. The Picture that I did post is with a custom 5" bump stop. got kinda scared driving around if a bag even blew it would take out my gas tank. if you look at my other pictures, the rear bumper is almost on the ground. Take care bud and good luck.

if you wanna see my tread go here --- <a href="http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16268" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk">http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16268</a>

This wagon looks sooo good. Ive been staring at pics of it for awhile now. I do have a few ?s for you. So so low.....

OK. So I'm still waiting for new balljoints, it's kinda slowing me down. Control arms have been cleaned up, painted, and new bushings installed. I test fit the lowers with the bags today and its looking good. Bags have 10" of travel and get super low. Something will bottom out before these bags air out, haha.

heres some pics to show you the travel.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

1 side up 1 side down

DSC_0055.jpg

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

Still waiting on these balljoints... Oh well. So I had to cut holes in the side of the front bag cups and put 90 degree fittings on the bags so I could run the airline through the frame towards the rear of the car. Thinkin I'm going to notch the front frame for tierod clearance while I'm waiting to put it all back together.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

New to this forum also. Did a bit of research on airride earlier this year.Layitlowforums.com had the most info.I,m trying topiece together a setup on a tight budget. I could save a little & make my own brackets-If I could have a few measurements off your parts. Pipe outerdiameter? height of pipe on top bracket, & on both high & low sides of angled lower brackets. That would Be MUCH appreciated. Ps you may want to look online at ridetechs site, they have pdf instructions.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

I'll get those measured for you.

SO, I've found out that 1978 elco front brakes and spindles are different from 1979-1987. :wtf: The wheel bearings dont fit on the drop spindles and the shoulder is longer on the spindle bolt. So if I'm going to use them, new brakes will have to happen. So I'm looking at my options, might as well go with something huge in there,haha. This thing is turning out to be a pain, but I'll keep going.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

The last 2 weeks have been rather anticlimactic, sorry about that. Work has been demanding, And looks to stay that way for the next month.

I'm keeping the drop spindles, trying to find the right rotors and bearings for them.

I have decided to cut the bed floor out, so hopefully the next free day I have I can get that out. I fabbed up new upper and lower rear control arms at work (I work in a fab shop), And made up some lower bag brackets to mount to the rear axle.

This elco will be hitting the ground by the end of the year. :D

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

Thanks for the measurements, Waiting to see what you use on rear.I have plate steel for bag brackets, just need to find a little 5" od pipe.I'll probably just use manual pneumatic valves for price [airlift] ,simplicity &less maintenance in a damp envirinment. Thinking slam specialties bags in front RE-5 or RE_6 maybe even ss series. Not sure if slams or firestone tapers on rear. May do engine driven compressor. Right now I,m just collecting more knowledge, I like the outcome of my projects to be like I,ve done them before.
Knew about the early model year difference on spindles, Had you known earlier, you,d still be doing the same thing in the long run. may as well shake it off & call it the joys of hot rodding. Keep at it ,---- when work & life permits. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor