Project "Sand Bagger"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Project "Bagging Rights"

When working for a living, sometimes any progress is good. Just to mention, I put avintage air compac unit in mine a few years back. I built my block off plate with a buldge in top{ more level instead of slanted] fro more inside room. Still had to loose most of glovebox.Aftermarket air was a good upgrade,it replaces all those aging parts that break one by one, dirty restricted coils . Main thing , it sure freed up some underhood room. You maywant to buldge your plate out now if you want to add some comfort later. :popcorn:

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

A little tangible progress does a lot for morale :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=HL132 ... Eej3WzkdMQ

So I made the shock mounts. I based them off a picture I found of the ART mounts. I am using Monroe 32245 shocks. These cost $20 each and are the same ones that come with the Ridetech kit. They are from a T100 pickup.

So I had to re weld the mounts a few times, but they work well now. and they have an extra hole :lol:
elcaminobags1sttimefront010.jpg

elcaminobags1sttimefront009.jpg

elcaminobags1sttimefront018.jpg

elcaminobags1sttimefront011.jpg

Biggest issue will be losing a little turning radius. I'll need to make a stop for the spindle on the lower control arm.

elcaminobags1sttimefront012.jpg

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

Lookin good there. I may see if I can get my shocks tucked a little tighter. Ridetech does sell good stuff, but there's nothing in the basic actual suspension parts that you can,t buy for less elsewhere or make, as you did.
Waiting to see what you'll be using on the rear. The premade offset rear brackets available are all meant for the f-9000 taper bags. Talked to a ridetech guy at daytona rod run last month, He said they use taper bags because they have more lift. Well ,in specs, the f9000 baggoes from 4.5" to12" max with 8 to 9" ride height, 7.5" stroke. The slam specialties RE-7 bag specs at2.8" min to 11" max, 8.2" stroke. Hmmmm. Decisions.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

The bags I have are Air Lift D2600 Dominator (2B7 Gen. IV)
They go from 2.8" collapsed to 12.5" max height.

One of the problems I am having is that they are huge, nearly 8" diameter.

So the bigger issue is that I am getting too much lift at a low psi. I know I'm a few hundred pounds light on the front end right now, but it needs to be addressed.

Probably on monday, I will get to work on this to get the front done for good. I will be cutting the spring pocket out of the frame even more, and cutting down the upper bag mount. This will let me put more bag inside the frame, also let me lay the frame, and get the same final lift height at a greater psi.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

I've done a fair amount of readin up on airbag info, a lot of different opinions on how to do things. People familiar with the current airlift bags had nothing bad to say about them.Also, airlift company seems to be in touch with our current poorer economy than you know who-tech.Their bags are a hint cheaper & their phone rep actually reccomended me on their pneumatic valves { instead of forcing me on theirhigh end electronics} for my application for cost simplicity & also reliability. He runs the manual valves in his daily driver.
On sizing , Ridetech has the small 5" bags upfront & tapers on rear, which according to another el camino central member online, runs 50-60psi rear & 90-100 front at average rideheight. He also says ridetech sizes them this way for stiffness in autocross use.
By contrast, Many people on lay it low forums {& a friend of the airlift rep} run larger bags for a softer ride & more range.The average rule of thumb is to be near the middle of the bag lift range at your desired ride height , which means adjusting mounts to your needs-AS you're doing. Sounds like you're on the right track.
For high performance handling, larger swaybars are more important with airbags.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

jlcustomz said:
I've done a fair amount of readin up on airbag info, a lot of different opinions on how to do things. People familiar with the current airlift bags had nothing bad to say about them.Also, airlift company seems to be in touch with our current poorer economy than you know who-tech.Their bags are a hint cheaper & their phone rep actually reccomended me on their pneumatic valves { instead of forcing me on theirhigh end electronics} for my application for cost simplicity & also reliability. He runs the manual valves in his daily driver.
On sizing , Ridetech has the small 5" bags upfront & tapers on rear, which according to another el camino central member online, runs 50-60psi rear & 90-100 front at average rideheight. He also says ridetech sizes them this way for stiffness in autocross use.
By contrast, Many people on lay it low forums {& a friend of the airlift rep} run larger bags for a softer ride & more range.The average rule of thumb is to be near the middle of the bag lift range at your desired ride height , which means adjusting mounts to your needs-AS you're doing. Sounds like you're on the right track.
For high performance handling, larger swaybars are more important with airbags.
good info, do you guys know much about their shockwaves style bags, or any other company with equivalent style bags for the front?

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

Ls, the main feature of the shockwave { made by Qa1} ,is the all in one compactness & for front suspension, no loss of turnin radius from outboard remounted shock. On the down side, they have less lift range & are costly, the cheapest I, ve seen is $600 through ridetech.Think you also pay another $100 { small footnote} if you don,t use their control arms made for them.
In other words, simpler install if you want to pay for it{Still need to trim spring pocket} ,But not as much height range as non firestone bags. I would like to also go up high for maintenance uses, as I have a long 2010 camaro nose to clear a ramp.
ALSO, Seen your ridin big wheels, like boatshoes here. You WILL NOT drop to the ground with shockwaves on a stock wheel size, much less something larger. You need the level of effort seen in this post to do so.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

Quick pics for you guys.

Front- I cut the upper bag bracket down 3/4" and trimmed the spring pocket out more for a little more low. cut the fenders out too.

Rear- pulled the springs and shocks, car is sitting on the tires right now. Rear bags look to be super easy, just a simple bracket top and bottom. More updates on the weekend.

everything1128.jpg

everything1124.jpg

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

looking awesome! the front shock relocation taking away the turning radius scares the hell outta me! how much did you lose, is there anywhere else it can be mounted in your opinion? With the sway bar on, how much higher did it sit versus now, cause i would want the fatter sway bar set up for sure, not that I am bagging the el co or anything... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor